Chemical vs. Materials Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's narrowed interests in a major involving chemistry, math, and possibly physics. Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering are identified as potential options, but further information on job applications is needed. The individual also asks for similar areas and receives input from someone with a degree in Materials Science and has been accepted into a doctoral scheme. The person shares their experiences with job offers and highlights the theme of energy in Materials research. The shortage of metallurgists/materials scientists is also mentioned.
MrGeneric
I've been doing some research on majors and have narrowed my interests down to something involving a mixture of chemistry and math, possibly physics as well. From what I have found Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering seem to be closest to my ideal mix, though the descriptions of applications to the job market have been rather vague, and Chemical Engineering seems a bit too industrial for my tastes. Can anyone give me an accurate impression of what I could do with different degrees in these fields? Also, are there any other areas that are similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm finishing my degree in Materials Science and have just been accepted into a doctoral scheme, so I've spent the last 6 months working out my options.

I applied/got offers for:
* Jag Land Rover - making hybrid engines and developing aluminium alloys for chassis
* Composite helicoper blades
* Nuclear power plant maintenance
* Steel forgings for oil platforms

I opted for a corrosion PhD because I hate money and love long hours and the pain of constant self-doubt.

A big theme in Materials research is energy, renewable and otherwise. If this is a field that interests you, materials science might suit you.

Also, every single person in my class already has a job/study lined up for when they graduate. There is a big shortage of metallurgists/materials scientists (in the UK at least).

Thank you, that's very helpful.

1. What is the difference between chemical engineering and materials engineering?

Chemical engineering focuses on the design and production of chemicals and chemical processes, while materials engineering focuses on the properties and applications of materials. Chemical engineering deals with the transformation of raw materials into useful products, while materials engineering deals with the development and improvement of materials for specific purposes.

2. Can someone with a chemical engineering degree work as a materials engineer?

While there is some overlap in the two fields, a chemical engineering degree does not necessarily qualify someone to work as a materials engineer. Materials engineering requires a deeper understanding of the physical and mechanical properties of materials, as well as knowledge of materials characterization techniques and processing methods.

3. Which field has better job prospects: chemical engineering or materials engineering?

Both chemical and materials engineering have strong job prospects, and the demand for skilled engineers in these fields is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. However, the specific job market may vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and current economic conditions.

4. Can a materials engineer work in the chemical industry?

Yes, materials engineers can work in the chemical industry, as many chemical processes and products rely on specialized materials for their success. Materials engineers may be involved in developing new materials for use in chemical processes, improving the performance of existing materials, or ensuring the safety and quality of materials used in chemical production.

5. What skills are important for success in chemical and materials engineering?

Both fields require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for working in a collaborative environment and effectively communicating with colleagues and clients. In materials engineering, hands-on experience with materials processing and testing techniques is also highly valued.