Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Classes - Reading the Books

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    I'm reading the book (Organic Chemistry by John McMurray) for my organic chemistry class at the moment and when I looked at the past exam papers and course structure I noticed it doesn't cover a lot of what I've read so far. My course only seems to cover a handful of chapters in the book. Its a single semester class. Are classes always like this as in they only cover a handful of chapters in the book?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

One semester organic class is awfully short, no wonder it doesn't cover too much. Back in eighties I have attended three semesters course. Organic chemistry is wast.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    A semester in my college is half the year.

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4
    Yes -- in my experience.

You should always coordinate your readings with the class syllabus, so you don't "waste time".

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    There no such thing as wasting time when you're learning chemistry. I learn concepts so that I know them forever, not to pass my chemistry course. Besides a lot of the extra currular stuff I learn helps me understand the stuff I do in college better. Takes revision and putting the theory into practice to make the memories permanent though.

7. Sep 15, 2010 #6

jtbell

Textbooks almost always include more material than can reasonably be covered in a single course (or multiple-course sequence that the book is targeted for). This is because different courses and instructors cover somewhat different sets of topics, and publishers want to maximize sales by appealing to as many instructors as possible.

In physics, I don't remember ever taking or teaching a course in which the entire textbook was covered. (This covers a span of about forty years.)

8. Sep 15, 2010 #7
    Well, if you've enough time to self-study topics that aren't covered in your course, then your method works just fine.

Personally, I try to maximize my grades, so I don't study concepts that aren't covered in my courses.

9. Sep 15, 2010 #8
    Good point, I often spend loads of time learning extra curricular topics and when I do the test I don't do that well cuz it doesn't include half the stuff I learned. Maybe its best to concentrate on what the course covers.

10. Sep 16, 2010 #9

Borek

And the three semester course I have mentioned lasted a year and the half. There were several two semester courses (like GenChem, PhysChem, Analytical), but only one longer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook