1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Cherenkov Radiation and Non-Dielectric Materials

1. Apr 23, 2017 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Cherenkov radiation is described as being generated by a charged particle moving through a dielectric medium with a velocity greater than c/n, where n is the refractive index in that medium. Since n varies with frequency, there is a cutoff where n drops below 1 and no radiation is emitted above that frequency (except due to some special mechanisms that I don't want to get into).

My question is what happens if a charged particle moves at relativistic velocities through a non-dielectric medium, such as a metal or semiconductor material? Do these materials even have a refractive index?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Also metals and semiconductors are dielectrics, however with a complex dielectric constant. The imaginary part of the dielectric constant being linked to conductivity. An approximation for the dielectric constant of metals is the so-called Lindhard dielectric function:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindhard_theory

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted