• I
  • Thread starter AndreasC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
AndreasC
Gold Member
As an explanation to the Cherenkov angle, images such as this are offered:
Huygens-construction-of-a-conical-Cherenkov-wavefront-a-charged-particle-traveling-in-a.png

This is used to explain the Cherenkov angle θ at which the Cherenkov radiation appears to be propagating. To figure this angle out however one has to assume that the wavefronts are tangent to each of these circles, so that then the direction of propagation and the observed wavefronts have a right angle between them. I don't really get why. I think I'm missing something very obvious, and it probably has to do with interference, but I can't quite explain it.

To be more specific, take a point where that first circle meets the wavefront. If you wait just a little bit, won't the emitted radiation from the second circle reach that point? Won't it then appear to be coming from a different angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is using the Huygens's Principle for emission of waves with velocity ##c_{\text{mat}}=c/n## by a charge moving with a velocity larger than ##c_{\text{mat}}##.

vanhees71 said:
This is using the Huygens's Principle for emission of waves with velocity ##c_{\text{mat}}=c/n## by a charge moving with a velocity larger than ##c_{\text{mat}}##.
I'm not entirely sure how this applies to answer what I said in the end though... I'm also not entirely sure why all the points in that tangent line have the same phase. Perhaps that's why I'm confused.

Likes vanhees71
Wait I see what you mean now about Huygens' principle, but where I'm stuck I guess is why these points are a wavefront, as in why do these points along this line have the same phase, but not some other ones? I think I've misunderstood the nature of radiation being emitted from the electron...

Oof nevermind, I was saying nonsense because I was confused. I see what you mean now, thanks!

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle passes through a dielectric medium at a speed greater than the phase velocity of light in that medium.

2. How is the geometry of Cherenkov radiation determined?

The geometry of Cherenkov radiation is determined by the angle at which the radiation is emitted relative to the direction of motion of the charged particle. This angle is dependent on the refractive index of the medium and the velocity of the charged particle.

3. What factors affect the intensity of Cherenkov radiation?

The intensity of Cherenkov radiation is affected by several factors, including the velocity of the charged particle, the refractive index of the medium, and the distance the radiation travels through the medium.

4. How is Cherenkov radiation used in scientific research?

Cherenkov radiation is used in various scientific research fields, such as high-energy particle physics and medical imaging. It can provide valuable information about the properties of charged particles and their interactions with matter.

5. Can the geometry of Cherenkov radiation be manipulated?

Yes, the geometry of Cherenkov radiation can be manipulated by controlling the properties of the medium through which the charged particle travels. By adjusting the refractive index or thickness of the medium, researchers can influence the angle and intensity of the emitted radiation.