Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chip detector for neurostimulator RNS

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    hello,
    We work on a topic concerning the RNS neurostimulator against epileptic seizures:
    http://latavernedes3i.free.fr/files/...20Valerian.pdf [Broken]

(RNS consists of a computerized device implanted into the skull with electrodes implanted in presumed epileptic foci in the brain. Brain electrodes send EEG signals at the input device that contains detection software. When certain criteria EEG seizure are satisfied, the device delivers a small electrical charge to the electrodes other near the epileptic focus and disrupt the seizure.).

the system has two main parts:
    - Detection part:
    - Portion control (FPGA processor ...)

detection is assured either by a sensor chip synchronous or asynchronous
    After much research, I can not differentiate between an asynchronous and the synchronous detection in this context:confused:
    and thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your link appears to be broken. I tried to repair it, but got a nasty message when trying to enter the home website. Can you re-post your link?

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    oooh yah i'm sorry, (but is in frensh)
    http://latavernedes3i.free.fr/files/3I4/Rapports%20de%20Stage/2009/Geny%20Valerian.pdf [Broken],
    et thank you so much,

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yep, it's in French all right...:smile:

On your question, synchronous would normally refer to when you are clocking the device that you are communicating with, and asynchronous would be when the device is sending you its own clock along with the data. Or asynchronous could mean that the device is sending you just the data, at some known pace (like with RS-232 communication, there is no explicit clock sent with the data, but the data rate of the sender and receiver must be the same in order for the communication to work).

Do you have any specifications for the device that you are communicating with? Or is that somewhere in the French document?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook