Choose from the following set of vectors in R4

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter forzi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
forzi
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi everybody,

I have a problem with this question:
Choose from the following set of vectors in R4 set of the maximum number of linearly independent vectors:
1.(1;2;3;4) 2.(2;4;6;8) 3.(0;1;-1;1) 4.(1;1;1;0) 5.(0;3;0;0)

So, I can find a rank of a matrix, it's 4, but I can't understand how it could help me answering my question.

Would you please help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can just assume that cause second vector is equal 2*first vector, I can remove first vector from calculation and the answer will be 2,3,4,5
tBut it just an assumption.
 
Hi forzi and welcome to MHB! :D

I think you have the right idea but wouldn't one omit vectors 1. and 2.?
 
Hi greg

Thanks :)
I can't understand your question. But I can say that answer to my question is 2,3,4,5. I finished the test with this answer and it was right.
Have no idea why :confused: