Spanning set of vectors question

In summary, a set of five linearly independent vectors always spans F^5 because the number of vectors in a basis is the same as the dimension of the space. This means that if the spanning set has the same number of elements as the dimension of the space, it is already a basis and satisfies the properties of linear independence and spanning the space.
gucci1
I am currently trying to understand linear independence and spanning sets. So the question that I have right now is, does a set of five linearly independent vectors always span F^5? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Edit: Sorry for the confusion, I really had no idea how to begin this problem. I guess I should have said that. I was pretty sure the answer was yes, but the reason why it is yes was a mystery.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gucci said:
I am currently trying to understand linear independence and spanning sets. So the question that I have right now is, does a set of five linearly independent vectors always span F^5? Thanks for any help you can offer!
The answer is yes, and the reason is that the number of vectors in your set is the same as the dimension of the space.

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis, and the definition of a basis is that it is a set of vectors that satisfies these two properties:
(1) it is linearly independent,
(2) it spans the space.
To show that a set is a basis, you normally have to check that it satisfies both properties (1) and (2). But if you happen to know that the number of vectors in the set is the same as the dimension of the space, then you only have to check one of those two properties, and the other one will then automatically hold.

The reason for that is that there is a standard procedure for enlarging a linearly independent set so as to form a basis, by adding a suitable number of additional vectors. But there is a theorem (the basis theorem) which says that any two bases must contain the same number of elements. So if your linearly independent set started with the same number of elements as the dimension of the space, then the number of additional elements needed is zero. In other words, the original set was already a basis. Similarly, if you start with a set that spans the space, then you can always obtain a basis from it by discarding some of its elements. But if the spanning set has the same number of elements as the dimension of the space, then the number of elements to be discarded is zero, so the original set was already a basis.

Thanks so much for the explanation, that really helped. I wasn't aware that it was so firmly established that the number of vectors in a basis is the same as the dimension of the space. I guess my teacher glossed over that fact :-/

Related to Spanning set of vectors question

What is a spanning set of vectors?

A spanning set of vectors is a set of vectors that can be combined in linear combinations to create any vector in a vector space. In other words, these vectors span the entire vector space.

Why is a spanning set of vectors important?

A spanning set of vectors is important because it helps us understand the basis of a vector space. It allows us to represent any vector in the vector space using a combination of a finite number of vectors, making computations and calculations more manageable.

How do you find a spanning set of vectors?

To find a spanning set of vectors, we need to first identify the dimension of the vector space. Then, we can use the basis vectors of the vector space to create a set of vectors that span the entire space. This can be done by using row reduction and selecting the non-zero rows as the spanning set.

Can a spanning set of vectors be unique?

Yes, a spanning set of vectors can be unique. This is because the basis vectors of a vector space are independent and cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other. Therefore, any set of vectors that span the vector space must contain these basis vectors, and the set of basis vectors is unique.

What is the relationship between a spanning set of vectors and a basis?

A spanning set of vectors and a basis are closely related. A basis is a special type of spanning set that has the additional property of being linearly independent, meaning that none of the basis vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other basis vectors. In other words, a basis is a minimal spanning set that has no redundant vectors.