Greetings all, Just thought I'd hear you out on a decision I'm trying to make before applying to graduate school this fall, however going to keep it vague so it doesn't come around to bite me in the butt. I did an REU in physics sub-field A at a school which is #1 in the nation for sub-field B. The professor I worked with there I expect will write me an excellent LoR, and told me that my admission was pretty much guaranteed if I applied to sub-field A. However, sub-field A was something that was interesting, but not what I want to go to graduate school for, of this I'm sure. On the contrary, sub-field B is my main research interest; I'll be applying to all other grad schools specifying sub-field B, and I am a coauthor on four publications in sub-field B (one first author, the rest all in phys rev). I will have three excellent LoRs from three different research groups (my university, a national lab internship supervisor, and the REU prof). I have a 4.0 GPA, but coming from a smaller school where many courses aren't taught until last semester senior year, my GRE score will not be spectacular. My question is this: seeing as I'd really like to (of course) go to the top school for sub-field B but have a low chance of admission unless I apply to sub-field A, what do I do? I have discussed this with the professor both at the school where I did the REU, and also at the university I attend now. The general consensus is that I should apply for sub-field A, and then switch to sub-field B. However, the only way I will be attending this school is if I get an NSF fellowship to adjust for the extremely high cost of living there, and if that's the case, I will begin research as soon as possible, probably with the group I did the REU with. So I will have to switch after doing research with them for a significant amount of time, which seems somewhat unethical to me. Thoughts?