Choosing a capacitor for an op amp integrator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of operational amplifiers for adding ramps to signals and the need for capacitors with specific values. It also mentions the use of polarized and nonpolarized caps, their availability and drawbacks, and possible alternatives such as using multiple non-electrolytic caps in parallel.
Mapes
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi folks,

I've been looking into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier_applications#Integrator" as a way to add ramps to signals. I'd like to get a ramp rate on the order of 0.1 V/s, which suggests the use of capacitors in the neighborhood of 10-100 uF. Many electrolytic and tantalum caps have these values, but a polarized cap isn't appropriate with the bipolar charging sequences used in integrators.

I've heard that polarized caps are sometimes attached back-to-back to simulate a nonpolarized cap, but that the response is non-linear. Nonpolarized caps with the desired values seem relatively expensive (an exception appears to be TDK's multilayer ceramic caps, e.g. FK24Y5V1A106Z, sold by Mouser, if these are non-polarized). Any suggestions or experiences in this area?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think you could find a way to keep the capacitance below 1 uF. Also, non-polarized electrolytics are available. However, I don't think an electrolytic is the best choice since it will have significant leakage.

You could alway parallel several non polar, non electrolytic caps.

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an op amp integrator?

The capacitor in an op amp integrator is used to store and release electrical energy at a controlled rate. It acts as a low-pass filter, allowing only low frequency signals to pass through and blocking high frequency signals.

2. How do I choose the right capacitor for my op amp integrator?

The capacitance value of the capacitor used in an op amp integrator depends on the desired frequency response and the input and output impedance of the circuit. A larger capacitor will result in a lower cutoff frequency, while a smaller capacitor will result in a higher cutoff frequency.

3. Can I use any type of capacitor for my op amp integrator?

It is recommended to use a ceramic or film capacitor for an op amp integrator, as these types have low parasitic effects and provide more accurate and stable performance. Electrolytic capacitors are not suitable for this application due to their high leakage current and poor tolerance.

4. What is the effect of temperature on the performance of a capacitor in an op amp integrator?

The capacitance of a capacitor decreases with increasing temperature, which can affect the frequency response of an op amp integrator. It is important to choose a capacitor with a low temperature coefficient to minimize this effect.

5. How do I prevent oscillations in my op amp integrator circuit?

To prevent oscillations in an op amp integrator circuit, it is important to ensure that the phase shift around the feedback loop is less than 180 degrees. This can be achieved by choosing a suitable capacitor and resistor combination and by properly grounding the circuit.