1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a capacitor for an op amp integrator

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi folks,

I've been looking into op amp integrators as a way to add ramps to signals. I'd like to get a ramp rate on the order of 0.1 V/s, which suggests the use of capacitors in the neighborhood of 10-100 uF. Many electrolytic and tantalum caps have these values, but a polarized cap isn't appropriate with the bipolar charging sequences used in integrators.

I've heard that polarized caps are sometimes attached back-to-back to simulate a nonpolarized cap, but that the response is non-linear. Nonpolarized caps with the desired values seem relatively expensive (an exception appears to be TDK's multilayer ceramic caps, e.g. FK24Y5V1A106Z, sold by Mouser, if these are non-polarized). Any suggestions or experiences in this area?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2
    I would think you could find a way to keep the capacitance below 1 uF. Also, non-polarized electrolytics are available. However, I don't think an electrolytic is the best choice since it will have significant leakage.

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could alway parallel several non polar, non electrolytic caps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?