Academic Guidance for Astrophysics Goals: UC Merced vs UC Santa Cruz or Berkeley

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on their academic and personal situation. They are a veteran attending community college and hoping to transfer to UC Santa Cruz or UC Berkeley for astrophysics. However, due to custody issues with their children's mother, they may be forced to attend UC Merced which does not have an astrophysics program. They are seeking opinions on UC Merced's physics program and advice on their overall plan, including the possibility of transferring to UC Santa Cruz or UC Berkeley for graduate school. They are also considering a program for veterans called ULink and seeking input on managing the custody issue.
Singularity6
Good evening!

So I am in need of some guidance. I'll go ahead and explain my background, my goals, and my dilemma's. And then I'd appreciate some thoughtful input. :) Thank you in advance.

My background:

Currently, I'm at a community college. I got out of the military a year ago and I'm starting my third full semester next month.

Now, here's an important note: I have a girlfriend and two children.

Goals: My goal has been from the start to transfer to UC Santa Cruz or UC Berkeley for undergrad and continue through graduate school at whichever school I go to. I want to focus on astrophysics.

My dilemma: In all honesty, I will probably not be able to go to either school and will be stuck in my hometown of Merced and go to UC Merced. This is because of custody issues with my daughters' mother.

So, my questions and the topic for which I require guidance: It's 2014 now. UC Merced has been here for a couple years and I'm wondering if any of you have any opinions on UC Merced for physics? I haven't heard much in either direction. Also, they don't have an astrophysics program. The reason I fell in love with physics was because of my obsession with astronomy. It's what I want to do.

So what do you guys think about this plan? -- UC Merced for undergrad and my major simply being physics, UC Santa Cruz or Berkeley for grad school and focusing on astrophysics? And what do you think grad schools will say about a UC Merced degree? I feel like I am destined to be a mediocre physicist with a UC Merced degree.

So any advice, guidance, or input you guys and gals have would be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Singularity6 said:
Good evening!

So I am in need of some guidance. I'll go ahead and explain my background, my goals, and my dilemma's. And then I'd appreciate some thoughtful input. :) Thank you in advance.

My background:

Currently, I'm at a community college. I got out of the military a year ago and I'm starting my third full semester next month.

Now, here's an important note: I have a girlfriend and two children.

Goals: My goal has been from the start to transfer to UC Santa Cruz or UC Berkeley for undergrad and continue through graduate school at whichever school I go to. I want to focus on astrophysics.

My dilemma: In all honesty, I will probably not be able to go to either school and will be stuck in my hometown of Merced and go to UC Merced. This is because of custody issues with my daughters' mother.

So, my questions and the topic for which I require guidance: It's 2014 now. UC Merced has been here for a couple years and I'm wondering if any of you have any opinions on UC Merced for physics? I haven't heard much in either direction. Also, they don't have an astrophysics program. The reason I fell in love with physics was because of my obsession with astronomy. It's what I want to do.

So what do you guys think about this plan? -- UC Merced for undergrad and my major simply being physics, UC Santa Cruz or Berkeley for grad school and focusing on astrophysics? And what do you think grad schools will say about a UC Merced degree? I feel like I am destined to be a mediocre physicist with a UC Merced degree.

So any advice, guidance, or input you guys and gals have would be much appreciated. :)

Have you looked into a program called ULink? UCB doesn't participate in it, but I think UCSC might. As a vet you can use the program to transfer to a UC school that participates after 60 credit hours. I transferred to UCSD for physics with the program, I’m also a vet.

As far as UC Merced, I don't know anything about them. It's a UC system school, however, and they're generally some of the best public institutions you could attend. UCSC isn't too far away as well, and UCSB which is a few hours away has an excellent physics program.

You should talk to a transfer counselor at your CC and see if UCSC participates in Ulink. That would at least lower your stress and guarantee you admission to university.

The custody issue is something you need to figure out, if you go to UCSC you should still be able to see your kids on the weekends.

1. What is academic guidance?

Academic guidance is a process of providing support and assistance to students in order to help them achieve their academic goals. It can include services such as academic advising, tutoring, study skills development, and career planning.

2. Why is academic guidance important?

Academic guidance is important because it can help students stay on track with their academic progress, improve their study habits, and make informed decisions about their academic and career paths. It can also provide a support system for students who may be struggling or facing challenges in their academic journey.

3. Who can benefit from academic guidance?

All students can benefit from academic guidance, regardless of their academic abilities or goals. It can be especially helpful for students who are new to college, transitioning to a different academic program, or facing academic challenges.

4. How can I access academic guidance?

Most colleges and universities have an academic guidance or advising center where students can schedule appointments with advisors or access other resources such as tutoring and workshops. Students can also reach out to their professors or department advisors for academic guidance.

5. Is academic guidance free?

While some colleges and universities may charge a fee for certain academic guidance services, many academic guidance resources are typically free for students. It is important to check with your specific institution to understand what services may have associated fees.