Chrome + NVidia intermittent BSOD with physics forums

In summary, the speaker experiences a blue screen of death when browsing physics forums with Chrome on Windows XP and an NVidia video card. This does not occur with an AMD video card or when using Internet Explorer. Other occasional errors are also encountered, such as no text display and issues with the "watch thread" function. The speaker suggests moving to Windows 10 or Ubuntu as a potential solution.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
When browsing physics forums using Chrome with Windows XP on an NVidia video card, I occasionally get a blue screen of death. I don't recall this every happening with an AMD video card. With the NVidia video card, it only happens when I'm using Chrome and browsing physics forums. I've never seen a BSOD when browsing other forums or any other web site, or if using Internet Explorer with physics forums. So it's the combination of Windows XP, NVidia video card (GeForce 780 Ti, 353.62 or 355.60 driver), and physics forums that occasionally results in BSOD.

I do get other occasional errors with Chrome and physics forums, such as no text display when trying to compose a post. Using Internet Explorer sometimes gets the same no text error, or it keeps jumping to the end of the web page instead of the end of a post when I'm trying to compose a post.

With Chrome, "watch thread" doesn't work, but it does work with Internet Explorer.

My system is multi-boot, Win XP Pro (32 bit), Win XP Pro X64 (64 bit), and Win 7 Pro (64 bit), but currently, I do most of my browsing with Win XP.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I've never had a crash when using Chrome with facebook or youtube, only physics forums, and even in that case, it's intermittent.

What is causing the intermittent BSOD (blue screen of death) with Chrome and NVidia on Physics Forums?

The most likely cause of the BSOD is a conflict between the latest NVidia drivers and the hardware acceleration feature in Chrome. This conflict can result in crashes when trying to access certain websites, such as Physics Forums.

How can I fix the BSOD issue with Chrome and NVidia on Physics Forums?

One solution is to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome. To do this, go to Settings > Advanced > System and turn off the toggle for "Use hardware acceleration when available." This should prevent crashes while browsing Physics Forums. Additionally, make sure you have the latest NVidia drivers installed.

Is this BSOD issue specific to Physics Forums, or can it occur on other websites?

The BSOD issue with Chrome and NVidia can occur on other websites as well, but it seems to be more prevalent on Physics Forums due to the site's use of certain graphics and video features. Other users have reported similar issues on other websites with heavy use of hardware acceleration.

Are there any other potential solutions to the BSOD issue with Chrome and NVidia?

Some users have reported success with completely disabling the NVidia graphics card and using the integrated graphics instead. This can be done through the Device Manager in Windows. Other potential solutions include rolling back to an older version of the NVidia drivers or using a different web browser.

Will NVidia and Chrome be releasing a fix for this issue?

There is no official statement from either NVidia or Chrome about a fix for this issue. However, both companies are aware of the problem and it is possible that a future update or patch may address the conflict between the two. In the meantime, it is recommended to use one of the aforementioned solutions to prevent the BSOD from occurring.