Circuit Analysis Question -- 2 sources and 4 resistors

In summary, the question is asking for the power that is supplied when a load is connected to a voltage source. The power that is supplied is 180 + 15 x.
jisbon
Homework Statement
As shown below.
Relevant Equations
-
1586331720640.png

Now, I know this question can be solved using Kirchoff Voltage rule, but the question expliciitly wants me to use power supplied = power absorbed. Hence taking V0 to be x, I can't still seem to calculate. Any ideas?

Power supplied = (60)(3) + (5x)(3) = 180+15x
Power absorbed = 72+ 56 +28 + 3x

``180+15x = 72+ 56 +28 + 3x
x =2 which is obviously wrong. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The dependant source voltage is 5IO. IO is known.

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with this exercise ? I see 30 V on the left and then 12 V over the top left resisitance.
So the 1`8 V is a giveaway !

I suppose that is what the OP means with
jisbon said:
I know this question can be solved using Kirchoff Voltage rule
But why come up with a 'hint' (that is perceived as force) that needs a lot of calculation ?

Good point, BvU. I too, had fallen victim to the Jedi mind-trick.

jisbon said:
Power supplied = (60)(3) + (5x)(3) = 180+15x
Power absorbed = 72+ 56 +28 + 3x

``180+15x = 72+ 56 +28 + 3x
x =2 which is obviously wrong. Any ideas?
You used x for I0 in the top equation and x for V0 in the bottom equation.

Likes SammyS
phyzguy said:
You used x for I0 in the top equation and x for V0 in the bottom equation.
Hmm seems like you are correct. But with now having two separate variables, how do I solve them now?
``180+15y = 72+ 56 +28 + 3x where y is I0 and x is V0

lewando said:
The dependant source voltage is 5IO. IO is known.
I0 is 3A right? So wouldn't the power be (5*3)A *V0?

IO is 2A as indicated (at the top of the circuit). Why do you think VO has anything to do with the power supplied by the dependant voltage source?

lewando said:
IO is 2A as indicated (at the top of the circuit). Why do you think VO has anything to do with the power supplied by the dependant voltage source?
Sorry for being careless wow :/ Got the answer too, thanks

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors, you can use the formula: Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4. This means that you simply add up the values of all 4 resistors to get the total resistance in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the current in each branch of a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors?

To calculate the current in each branch of a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors, you can use Ohm's Law: I = V/R. First, calculate the total resistance using the formula mentioned above. Then, use this value to calculate the current in each branch by dividing the voltage of each source by the total resistance.

3. How do I determine the voltage drop across each resistor in a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors?

To determine the voltage drop across each resistor in a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors, you can use Ohm's Law again: V = IR. First, calculate the current in each branch using the formula mentioned above. Then, multiply the current by the resistance of each resistor to get the voltage drop across it.

4. Can I simplify the circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors into an equivalent circuit?

Yes, you can simplify the circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors into an equivalent circuit. This can be done by using series and parallel resistor combinations to reduce the number of components in the circuit. The equivalent circuit will have the same total resistance and voltage as the original circuit.

5. How do I account for the direction of current flow in a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors?

In a circuit with 2 sources and 4 resistors, the direction of current flow can be determined using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). KCL states that the sum of the currents entering a node must equal the sum of the currents leaving that node. By applying KCL to each node in the circuit, you can determine the direction of current flow in each branch.