RC Circuit - Rate energy is dissipated in the resistor

In summary, the question asks for the rate at which electrical energy is being dissipated in the resistor in a circuit consisting of a 2.01 uF capacitor, a 6.51 kΩ resistor, and an emf source with 74.6 V. Using the equation P = V^2/R, the power across the resistor is found to be 854 mW. This can also be expressed as 854 mJ/s, which is a rate of energy exchange in Watts.
bornofflame

Homework Statement

1. A 2.01 uFcapacitor that is initially uncharged is connected in series with a 6.51 kΩ resistor and an emf source with 74.6 V and negligible internal resistance. The circuit is completed at t = 0.

a) Just after the circuit is completed, what is the rate at which electrical energy is being dissipated in the resistor?

Given/Known:
##C = 2.01\cdot10^{-6} ~F##
##Q_0 = 0 ~C##
##R_1 = 6.51\cdot10^3 ~\Omega##
##\mathcal {E} = 74.6 ~V## (The source can be treated as ideal.)

Homework Equations

## P = \frac {V^2_{ab}} {R_{eq}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the question is simply asking for the power across the resistor which is why that is the only equation that I have included. That said:

## P = \frac {V^2_{ab}} {R_{eq}} = \frac {74.6~V} {6.51\cdot10^3 ~\Omega}##
##=\frac {5565~V^2} {6.51\cdot10^3 ~\frac V A} = 854\cdot10^{-3} \frac V A = 854 \frac {mJ} {s}##

is my solution.

It seems pretty simple but I'm not as confident in my knowledge of circuits as I would like to be so I want to make sure that I'm understanding this before I move on to the next step.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. Looks good.

You could also express the results in Watts: 854 mW.

Likes bornofflame
Ok, thank you! mJ/s seemed weired but I guess it felt more fitting as a rate than simply W, which I still don't immediately associate with rate.

Watts are Joules per second. So it's a rate of energy exchange. Hope that helps.

I think that the way to solve this is by differential equations since the difference of potential V is a variable so start by establishing the relation between Vcapacitor ,Vresistor and E (unsing Kirchhoff's law ) and then derive the whole relation and find the differential equation for Vresistor .then You'll find the rate of change of Vre over time (an exponential function ) then replace it in your relevant equation. If I'm wrong then, please correct my answer

1. What is an RC circuit and how does it work?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. The capacitor stores electrical charge, while the resistor limits the flow of current. The circuit works by allowing the capacitor to charge and discharge through the resistor, creating a time-dependent current flow.

2. How does energy get dissipated in the resistor in an RC circuit?

The energy in an RC circuit is dissipated in the resistor as heat. This happens because the resistor converts the electrical energy from the charging capacitor into heat energy through the process of resistive heating. The amount of energy dissipated in the resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it and the resistance value of the resistor.

3. How does the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor change over time in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor changes over time as the capacitor charges and discharges. Initially, when the capacitor is fully discharged, the rate of energy dissipation is high as the current flowing through the resistor is maximum. As the capacitor charges, the current decreases, and the rate of energy dissipation also decreases until it reaches a steady-state where the capacitor is fully charged and there is no current flowing through the resistor.

4. How do you calculate the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor in an RC circuit?

The rate of energy dissipation in the resistor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is the power dissipated in watts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can be applied at any point in time during the charging or discharging process to determine the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor.

5. How can the rate of energy dissipation in the resistor be controlled in an RC circuit?

The rate of energy dissipation in the resistor in an RC circuit can be controlled by changing the resistance value of the resistor or the capacitance value of the capacitor. A higher resistance value will result in a slower rate of energy dissipation, while a lower resistance value will result in a faster rate. Similarly, a higher capacitance value will result in a slower rate of energy dissipation, while a lower capacitance value will result in a faster rate.