I with this circuit -- 2 resistors and 2 sources....

In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage and current in a circuit with two resistors in parallel. The initial equation shows that the sum of the currents in each branch is equal to the total current. However, the two images provided show different values for the current in the 2 Ohm resistor, which leads to different solutions. The correct problem is the one in color, and the equation for the voltage across the 2 Ohm resistor should be v0 = 2*i0/3.
edgarpokemon

Homework Statement

The problem is in this link

https://www.chegg.com/homework-help/find-vo-io-circuit-fig-226figure-226-chapter-2-problem-7pp-solution-9780078028229-exc
upload_2018-1-24_9-50-4.png

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
[/B]
15=[io/3]+[io/3]+ [vo/12]

I got this equation for the problem. Since the voltages of both resistors are in parallel, the both are equal. So for the first resistor from left to right... v1=[2/3]io but also v1=v0. So i replace vo with v1 in my equation, but i don't get the answers that i am suppose to get, which are 20V and 10 amps. It asks to find v0 and i0. I asked in other website and both said they did nkt get 20 or 10 neither. Help!

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-24_9-50-4.png
    upload_2018-1-24_9-50-4.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 746
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you notice that the two pictures you linked are different? The top picture has i0/3 in the 2 Ohm resistor and the bottom picture has i0. Which is the correct problem?

phyzguy said:
Did you notice that the two pictures you linked are different? The top picture has i0/3 in the 2 Ohm resistor and the bottom picture has i0. Which is the correct problem?

Oh sorry, the first problem from the top is the correct one. The one in color

edgarpokemon said:
Oh sorry, the first problem from the top is the correct one. The one in color

Are you sure? The lower one is consistent with your 10Amp/20V answer. The upper one is not.

phyzguy said:
Are you sure? The lower one is consistent with your 10Amp/20V answer. The upper one is not.

Yes i am sure, the one in color is the one that i have on my book. I already spent 3 4 hours on that problem because i can't get those answers so i am sure that's the one haha

edgarpokemon said:
Yes i am sure, the one in color is the one that i have on my book. I already spent 3 4 hours on that problem because i can't get those answers so i am sure that's the one haha

Well, the answer to the one in color is most definitely not 10 A / 20 V.

phyzguy said:
Well, the answer to the one in color is most definitely not 10 A / 20 V.
Thank you. So is the equation that i got correct? Is vo also equal to 2io/12?

edgarpokemon said:
Thank you. So is the equation that i got correct? Is vo also equal to 2io/12?

No. Since the 2 Ohm resistor and the 12 Ohm resistor are in parallel, they have the same potential (v0) across them. So if the 2 Ohm resistor has a potential of v0 across it, and a current of i0/3 is flowing through it, then by Ohm's law v0 = 2*i0/3. How did you get v0 = 2*i0/12?

I strongly suspect that the ##\frac{i_o}{3}## current label on the ##2 \;\Omega## resistor is a typo. Pretty sure it would make more sense if it was just ##i_o##.

gneill said:
I strongly suspect that the ##\frac{i_o}{3}## current label on the ##2 \;\Omega## resistor is a typo. Pretty sure it would make more sense if it was just ##i_o##.
Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the 2 resistors in this circuit?

The 2 resistors are used to control the flow of current in the circuit. They help to regulate the voltage and prevent damage to the sources and other components.

2. How do the 2 sources interact with each other in this circuit?

The 2 sources may be connected in parallel or in series, depending on the specific circuit configuration. In parallel, the sources will share the load, while in series, the voltage from each source will add together.

3. Can I change the resistance values of the 2 resistors?

Yes, you can change the resistance values of the resistors to alter the current and voltage levels in the circuit. This can be done by using resistors with different values or by adjusting the resistance using a variable resistor.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in this circuit?

The total resistance in a circuit with 2 resistors can be calculated using the formula: R(total) = R1 + R2. This means that the resistances of the 2 resistors are added together to determine the total resistance.

5. What happens if one of the resistors or sources fails in this circuit?

If one of the resistors or sources fails, it can disrupt the flow of current and cause the circuit to malfunction or stop working altogether. It is important to regularly check and replace any damaged components to maintain the functionality of the circuit.