1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit breakers and short circuits

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't so much an actual problem, just more of a general question. Can anyone give me a layman's explanation of what a short circuit is and how a circuit breaker deals with that? Or, can anyone refer me to any sources that can? I have taken high school physics, so anything along that level would be greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

short circuit is an unwanted pathway (usually much lower resistance than any other paths) where electrical current travels through to reach the "sink" (say ground, earth, -ve terminals). The reason that electrical current will flow through this path than through other paths because it has much lower resistance. As a result, a huge amount of current will go through this path --> dissipating huge amount of energy on the path--> making it to heat up and burnt...and fire etc.

the circuit breaker is a device that cuts of power when the current being drawn is too high, usually as a result of a short circuit (remember it has low resistance and so it "encourages" more current to flow). the breaker can be just a fuse: when the fuse gets too hot it breaks and stop the current flow BEFORE other part of the circuit starts burning. or it could be made up of a thermostat, using the fact that it will gets hot when there is a short circuit (from high current),... basically, the thermostat bends and if it is hot enough, it will bend far enough to trigger a cut of power.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?