Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit for Magnetic fluctuation test

1. Jul 9, 2006 #1

I'm doing more experiments with magnets and I'm making a setup to see if current can be induced in a coil by mechanically strengthening and weakening the pole of a permanent magnet. I can do this very simply by manually rotating a spinning disk with magnets on it close to the fixed magnet assembly (see attachment). The power that is induced in the coil I want to store in a capacitor and then test the circuit by running a small DC motor (also see attachment) from the cap while I am creating power with the magnet setup.

I am wondering how I need to wire the coil, capacitor, and motor so that I can both charge the cap, and draw power from it at the same time. I'm guessing that I will need a rectifier to run DC into the capacitor but I'm not sure how to safely discharge it into my little motor without burning it up; likewise, I'm not sure how to both charge the cap and run the motor at the same time. Can this be done?

Jason O

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted