Circuit with 2 Batteries and 6 Resistors

In summary, a circuit with six resistors and two batteries (V1 = 18 V, V2 = 12 V) is shown. The resistors have values of R1 = R5 = 73 Ω, R2 = R6 = 121 Ω, R3 = 62 Ω, and R4 = 92 Ω. The positive terminals are marked with a + sign and the positive directions for the currents I1, I2, and I3 are indicated by the arrows. The equations for finding V4, I1, I2, and I3 are V=IR and -I3R3+I1R1-ΔV1=0, +I6R
riane

Homework Statement

[/B]
A circuit is constructed with six resistors and two batteries as shown. The battery voltages are V1 = 18 V and V2 = 12 V. The positive terminals are indicated with a + sign, The values for the resistors are: R1 = R5 = 73 Ω, R2 = R6 = 121 Ω R3 = 62 Ω, and R4 = 92 Ω. The positive directions for the currents I1, I2 and I3 are indicated by the directions of the arrows. What is V4, I1, I2, and I3?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

-I3R3+I1R1-ΔV1=0
+I6R6-ΔV2+I2R2+I1R1=0
-I1R1-I2R2-I5R5-I4R4-I6R6=0
-ΔV1-I3R3-I2R2+ΔV2-I6R6=0
-ΔV2-I5R5-I4R4=0
-I4R4-I6R6-ΔV1-I3R3-I2R2-I5R5=0

Link to image:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43882&d=1329194903

Physics news on Phys.org
FYI homework questions should be posted in the appropriate homework forum.

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with 2 batteries and 6 resistors?

In order to calculate the total resistance in a circuit with 2 batteries and 6 resistors, you need to use the formula: R_total = R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 + R5 + R6. This means that you need to add the resistance values of all 6 resistors together to get the total resistance.

2. What is the purpose of having 2 batteries in a circuit?

The purpose of having 2 batteries in a circuit is to increase the voltage of the circuit. When batteries are connected in series, the voltage adds up and the total voltage in the circuit increases. This can be useful in circuits that require a higher voltage to function.

3. Can I add more resistors to this circuit?

Yes, you can add more resistors to this circuit. However, it is important to note that adding more resistors will increase the total resistance in the circuit and may affect the overall functioning of the circuit. It is important to carefully consider the impact of adding more resistors before doing so.

4. How do I calculate the current in this circuit?

To calculate the current in this circuit, you can use the formula: I = V/R. This means that you need to divide the voltage (V) by the total resistance (R) in the circuit. Keep in mind that the voltage in a series circuit is the same for all components, so you can use the voltage of one battery in your calculation.

5. What happens if one of the batteries in this circuit is dead or removed?

If one of the batteries in this circuit is dead or removed, it will break the circuit and no current will flow. This is because batteries provide the energy that pushes the electrons through the circuit. Without a functioning battery, the circuit will not work. It is important to always make sure your batteries are charged and connected properly in a circuit.