Circuit Problem with Kirchoff's rules (ugh)

In summary: Suppose for the sake of argument that you happened to know the voltage (with respect to node b) at node a. Call it Va. Can you mark the diagram with currents for each branch and then write KVL equations for those currents for each of them using Va?In summary, Kirchoff's rules do not apply to this situation because each branch of the circuit has its own independent voltage. Additionally, currents must be calculated for each branch.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Determine the current in each branch of the circuit shown (here:)
[PLAIN]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5084/physicschapter2817.jpg

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rules, I think is (and I'm probably looking at it wrong):

summation of ΔV around closed loops is 0,

summation of current at any junction is 0(Current) = ΔV / (Resistance), etc

Resistors connected in series = (R1 + R2 +...), etc

The Attempt at a Solution

The red spike lines are resistors.

I am just totally stunned here. This problem got to me to the point of me having to put it here and to draw it in MS paint, and sorry if it looks like an ugly drawing...Anyway the only thing I can do right now is to just simplify the resistors first. Two of em are connected in series so the resistors on the right are simplified to 4 ohms and the ones on the middle line become 6 ohms.

It seems very hard to apply Kirchoff's rules at all and I am not sure how to do apply Kirchoff's rules here. Also I am not sure on what the problem means by "each branch of the circuit. And with the batteries it's even more confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two pairs of resistors can be simplified (which ones?) To start this problem, you need to draw currents in each branch of the circuit and label them i1, i2 etc. Assume a direction; if your assumption is incorrect, when you put in the numbers the currents will be negative. For this circuit you will need two sum of voltages equations and one sum of currents equation.

For future reference, you can draw resistors as skinny rectangles and if you label each as as a number followed by Ω (or "Ohms"), everyone will know them for what they are.

kuruman said:
Two pairs of resistors can be simplified (which ones?) To start this problem, you need to draw currents in each branch of the circuit and label them i1, i2 etc. Assume a direction; if your assumption is incorrect, when you put in the numbers the currents will be negative. For this circuit you will need two sum of voltages equations and one sum of currents equation.

For future reference, you can draw resistors as skinny rectangles and if you label each as as a number followed by Ω (or "Ohms"), everyone will know them for what they are.
I think I may want to know how to make summation of voltages equations and that's probably where I'm having trouble.

I'll get other help from this in the meantime and check back in.

Here's your circuit redrawn with the simplifications that you've already described.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37998&stc=1&d=1313373523.gif

There are three branches. I've also labelled two of the nodes as "a" and "b", and we can assume that node "b" represents a common reference point (designated here by the circuit "ground" symbol at node b).

Suppose for the sake of argument that you happened to know the voltage (with respect to node b) at node a. Call it Va. Can you mark the diagram with currents for each branch and then write KVL equations for those currents for each of them using Va?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 539

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a clear and analytical mindset. First, let's start by simplifying the circuit by combining the resistors in series and parallel. This will give us a clearer picture of the circuit and make it easier to apply Kirchoff's rules.

Next, let's label each branch of the circuit with a letter (A, B, C, etc.). This will help us keep track of the current in each branch.

Now, let's apply Kirchoff's rules. Starting with the first rule, we know that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop must equal zero. Let's choose a loop, such as the one that goes through branches A and B. We can write the equation as follows:

ΔV_A + ΔV_B = 0

We can use Ohm's law to rewrite this equation as:

I_A*R_A + I_B*R_B = 0

Where I_A and I_B are the currents in branches A and B, and R_A and R_B are the resistances in those branches.

Using the second rule, we know that the sum of the currents at a junction must equal zero. Let's choose the junction where branches B and C meet. We can write the equation as follows:

I_B + I_C = 0

We can now solve these two equations simultaneously to find the values of I_A, I_B, and I_C. Once we have these values, we can use Ohm's law to find the voltage drops across each resistor and the current in each branch.

It is important to keep in mind that Kirchoff's rules are based on the conservation of energy and charge. They provide a systematic approach to analyzing complex circuits and can be used to find the current and voltage in any part of the circuit.

In conclusion, while Kirchoff's rules may seem daunting at first, they are an essential tool for understanding and analyzing circuits. By simplifying the circuit and carefully applying these rules, we can find the current in each branch and solve the problem at hand.

1. What are Kirchoff's rules?

Kirchoff's rules, also known as Kirchoff's laws, are two fundamental laws in circuit analysis that are used to determine the voltage and current in different parts of a circuit. They are based on the principles of conservation of charge and energy.

2. How do Kirchoff's rules apply to circuit problems?

Kirchoff's rules are used to calculate the voltage and current in a circuit by applying the principles of conservation of charge and energy. They are especially useful in solving complex circuit problems with multiple components.

3. What is the difference between Kirchoff's current law and Kirchoff's voltage law?

Kirchoff's current law states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving that junction. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge. Kirchoff's voltage law, on the other hand, states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit is equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How do you use Kirchoff's rules to solve a circuit problem?

To solve a circuit problem using Kirchoff's rules, you first need to identify the junctions and closed loops in the circuit. Then, you can apply Kirchoff's current law at each junction and Kirchoff's voltage law in each closed loop to set up a system of equations. Finally, you can solve these equations to find the unknown voltage and current values in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's rules in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's rules are very useful in solving circuit problems, but they do have some limitations. They assume that the components in the circuit are ideal, which means they have no resistance or capacitance. In real circuits, there is always some resistance and capacitance, so the results obtained using Kirchoff's rules may not be completely accurate. Additionally, these rules can become more complicated to apply in circuits with a large number of components.