Circuit Simplification, did I do this right?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Jordash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a circuit and using the Voltage Divider Rule to calculate Vb. The book uses ohms to help understand impedance and is currently in a "Training Wheels" mode. The correct formula for Vb is V * (820 / (z1 +820)) and the conversation also mentions working out combined impedances and currents.
Jordash
I have a circuit here:

Circuit.jpg

And I simplified it like so:

simplifiedCircuit.jpg

Did I do it correctly?

Thanks,

Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right. Why are all components in ohms? That makes my head hurt.

I'm glad it's right, The book tries to simplify things by adding the ohms to help us realize that impedance is similar to ohms when the book get's more complicated it shows the actual capacitance. So I guess the book is kind of in "Training Wheels" mode at the moment :)

Oh and Quick question about Calculating Vb I know that I can use the Voltage Divider Rule to get it (I did that for Va)

For Vb would I use the total impedance of all the impedances above the 820 ohms as say Z1 and then the impedance of the 820 Ohm resistor so it would be Vb=V* (820ohms/Z1+820Ohms) <-- VDR

Is my thinking right?

Yes. But watch your parens: Vb = V * (820 / (z1 +820)), which is probably what you meant.

Oh yeah your right, thanks for catching that.

That isn't what they meant by simplifying the circuit, though.

You just moved the components around on the page.

You need to work out the combined impedances and the currents as asked for in the question.

1. How do I know if I have simplified the circuit correctly?

To determine if you have simplified the circuit correctly, you can use a truth table to compare the inputs and outputs of the original circuit with the simplified version. If the truth tables match, then you have simplified the circuit correctly.

2. What are the common techniques used for circuit simplification?

The common techniques used for circuit simplification include Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, and the laws of logic such as De Morgan's laws and the distributive law.

3. Can I simplify a circuit with more than one output?

Yes, you can simplify a circuit with multiple outputs by simplifying each output separately using the same techniques as you would for a single output circuit.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for circuit simplification?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines for circuit simplification, including the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the identities and inverse laws of Boolean algebra.

5. What are the benefits of circuit simplification?

Circuit simplification can lead to a more efficient and cost-effective circuit design, as it reduces the number of components and logic gates required. It also makes the circuit easier to understand and troubleshoot.