Circuit Theory: physics vs. convention?

In summary: You're not the first to notice this. Many of us, myself included, found this convention disturbing. :grumpy: Perhaps the only way to change it now would be by international agreement amoung scientists and the technical community. :smile:In summary, many people find the convention of current flow from positive to negative poles confusing and disturbing.
KCL
This bothers me every time I study circuits, currently introductory level.

I can solve problems just fine, but something is just not "clicking" here. Mostly conventions for things like current, power absorption, etc...

Is there some where an explanation of what actually happens in a circuit and how does it relate to conventions like taking the current to move from positive to negative? I keep staring at a diagram of currents and thinking "is this negative current just the opposite of the positive one 'we use' or the 'real' current of negative charges that's actually moving or or or" etc... :confused:

I don't think I can even phrase the question correctly, I hope someone understood me from this post. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can equally well consider current to be positive charges moving in one direction (this is conventional current), or negative charges moving in the opposite direction (this is how electrons actually move).

- Warren

Ben Franklin has often been credited with our convention of current flow from positive to negative poles.

If you want to know which way current is flowing, you can normally find the direction in which electrons are flowing and then reverse it. Life for physicists and electrical engineers would be so much simpler if Benjamin Franklin hadn't made an unfortunate choice that gave electrons--the principal carriers of electricity--a negative electric charge. We have been living with the consequences of that choice ever since.
http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/flashlights.html

You're not the first to notice this. Many of us, myself included, found this convention disturbing. :grumpy: Perhaps the only way to change it now would be by international agreement amoung scientists and the technical community. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
chroot said:
You can equally well consider current to be positive charges moving in one direction (this is conventional current), or negative charges moving in the opposite direction (this is how electrons actually move).

- Warren

stupid question:

So if, let's say you're using the actual current - negative charges. Would the current be just 5 amps and a negative of that be the positive one in the opposite direction or would it be -5 amps with the negative of that be the positive one in the opposite direction? :redface:

Thanks for any help.

Current is always defined with respect to some convention. If you assume a direction, and you're right, the value is positive. If you assume a direction, and you're wrong, the value is negative.

Really, forget about the signs on currents, and instead just look at the arrows on the schematics that indicate which direction the currents are flowing.

- Warren

chroot said:
Current is always defined with respect to some convention. If you assume a direction, and you're right, the value is positive. If you assume a direction, and you're wrong, the value is negative.

Ok that's exactly what I needed to hear, thanks.

KCL said:
Mostly conventions for things like current, power absorption, etc...
What sort of questions are you having about power absorption?

I was just rambling about everything because current signs/direction just confused everything in any circuit. Once I get "stuck" on any detail I just panic and become incapable of understanding anything, so that really screwed me up for a while. Texts explain it clearly but I just needed to make sure, to read the same thing I'm getting from the text but after I ask a question on it just to confirm that I'm really "getting" it... Not sure if this makes sense. :redface:

And yes I have a serious OCD problem. :rofl:

1. What is the difference between physics and convention in circuit theory?

Physics in circuit theory refers to the fundamental laws of nature that govern the behavior of electricity and circuits, while convention refers to the commonly accepted methods and conventions used in circuit analysis and design.

2. Which is more important in circuit theory, physics or convention?

Both physics and convention are equally important in circuit theory. While physics provides the underlying principles and laws, convention helps us apply those principles in practical circuit analysis and design.

3. Can circuits be analyzed using only physics or only convention?

No, circuits cannot be analyzed using only physics or only convention. Both are necessary in order to fully understand and analyze a circuit's behavior.

4. Are there situations where circuit theory may contradict conventional methods?

Yes, there may be cases where circuit theory and conventional methods may seem to contradict each other. However, this is often due to simplified assumptions made in conventional methods for practical purposes, and can be resolved by considering more complex physics-based models.

5. How do scientists determine which conventions to use in circuit theory?

Conventions used in circuit theory are typically based on practical considerations such as ease of calculation, historical precedent, and industry standards. However, as our understanding of physics evolves, conventions may also change to better align with the underlying principles.