1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Angular Acceleration problem

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tire 2.00 feet in diameter is placed on a balancing machine, where it is spun so that its tread is moving at a constant speed of 60.0 mi/h. A small stone is stuck in the tread of the tire. What is the acceleration of the stone as the tire is being balanced?

2. Relevant equations

\omega = [tex]\frac{change in theta}{change in time}[/tex]

r = diameter/2

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\omega - \omega_{0}} {time}[/tex]

a[tex]_{t}[/tex] = r*\alpha
    3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\omega[/tex] = 840.3 rev/min = 88 radians/sec.

radius = .305m.

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\frac{88 radians}{1 second}[/tex] = 88 radians/second[tex]^{2}[/tex].

a[tex]_{t}[/tex] = .305 *88 = 26.84 m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You got omega (I'll call it w) just fine somehow. I'm not sure how because it's not clear what you did. But acceleration isn't w*r, that's velocity v. 26.8m/sec=60mi/hr. You are back where you started. Acceleration is v^2/r=(w*r)^2/r=w^2*r.
  4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    Well, going from 60mi/hr to radians/second is pretty basic math as long as you know the transformation values.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I got 88[tex]^{2}[/tex] * .305 = 2631.92radians/seconds[tex]^{2}[/tex]. Look right?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  5. Feb 2, 2010 #4
    Use the equation centripetal acceleration = v^2/r. The radius s 1.00 ft, or .305 m. V is 60 mi/h, or 26.8 m/s. Then the acceleration would be (26.8)^2/0.305, which is 2350 m/s^2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?