1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion and work done by non conservative forces

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball of mass m is attached to a string of length L. It is being swung in a vertical circle with enough speed so that the string remains taut throughout the ball's motion.(Figure 1) Assume that the ball travels freely in this vertical circle with negligible loss of total mechanical energy. At the top and bottom of the vertical circle, the ball's speeds are vt and vb, and the corresponding tensions in the string are T⃗t and T⃗b. T⃗t and T⃗b have magnitudes Tt and Tb.

Express the difference in tension in terms of m and g. The quantities vt and vb should not appear in your final answer.

2. Relevant equations
    Ki+Ui+WNC = Kf+Uf

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ki+WNC = Kf+Uf
    WNC = Kf+Uf - Ki
    WNC = (1/2)mvt2 + mg2L - (1/2)mvb2

Top:
    Tt = (mvt2/L) - mg
    Bottom:
    Tb = mg - (mvb2/L)

I don't know what to do after this. I have work done by non conservative forces, but I'm not sure how to relate this to the difference in tensions.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no non-conservative force in this problem. As stated explicitly:
    You should be able to use conservation of total energy (including the gravitational potential energy) in order to relate the velocities, and thus also the tensions.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    Oh okay. I got the answer when the work done by non-conservative force = 0. If the problem didn't explicitly state that no mechanical energy is lost, could you still assume that WNC = 0?

5. Feb 2, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you would have to account for the additional work done on the system.

6. Feb 2, 2015 #5
    Yes, Because the loss in mechanical energy is equal to the work done by the non-conservative forces in an isolated systems

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted