1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion: Change in Height, Box Struck by Arrow

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box of mass 4.750Kg is suspended from a rope which is attached to the ceiling and is currently at rest. You then shoot an arrow horizontally with a velocity of 21.00 m/s toward the box while standing 4.5m away from it. You may neglect air resistance.

A. With what velocity will the arow strike the box?
    B. If the arrow has a mass of 0.2500Kg, what is the max change in height the box theoretically will experience?

2. Relevant equations

b = Box, a = arrow

KEib + KEfb = KEia + KEfa

Fc = MV^2/r

Fg = mg

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I did was I first solved for the Final Velocity of the box which would become the new initial velocity after the arrow struck the box using the KEib + KEfb = KEia + KEfa.

0.5(4.750)V^2 = 0.5(0.25)(21.00)^2

Solving for the Velocity, I got 4.82m/s. so that becomes the new velocity I have and the New initial velocity would be 0. My New givens are:

Vi = 4.82m/s
    Vf = 0m/s
    A = -9.81m/s^2
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]y = ?

If I'm looking for the change in height, I don't feel like I need Centripetal Force. Would I just need to worry about [tex]\Delta[/tex]y? or do I have to use the Centripetal force equation?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    KEib + KEfb = KEia + KEfa

and what about PE ??:wink:

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    Oh! Haha I completely forgot. Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?