Circular motion of a ball and string

In summary, the radial acceleration of the ball is towards the center of the circle. However, the authors do not provide time or velocity information, so the student has to calculate it.
physics_geek

Homework Statement

A ball on the end of a string is whirled around in a horizontal circle of radius 0.366 m. The plane of the circle is 1.50 m above the ground. The string breaks and the ball lands 2.20 m (horizontally) away from the point on the ground directly beneath the ball's location when the string breaks. Find the radial acceleration of the ball during its circular motion.

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r
T = 2pi(r)/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the radial acceleration is towards the center of the circle
what i do not understand is that they do not give me time or velocity.
so how i figure it out!?

am i supposed to be assuming something?

Physics news on Phys.org
physics_geek said:

Homework Statement

A ball on the end of a string is whirled around in a horizontal circle of radius 0.366 m. The plane of the circle is 1.50 m above the ground. The string breaks and the ball lands 2.20 m (horizontally) away from the point on the ground directly beneath the ball's location when the string breaks. Find the radial acceleration of the ball during its circular motion.

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r
T = 2pi(r)/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the radial acceleration is towards the center of the circle
what i do not understand is that they do not give me time or velocity.
so how i figure it out!?

am i supposed to be assuming something?

You gota calculate velocity using kinematics.

o kinematics

but that would require something like d = .5at^2 rite?

Basicly just treat it as a projectile motion question to get intial velocity then that initial V is your velocity for the circular motion.

well if I am to treat it as a projectile motion question

that does not really help me figure out initial velocity...im sorry
im just really confused

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant and its direction changes continuously.

2. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path towards the center, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by the object due to its inertia.

3. How does the length of the string affect the circular motion of a ball?

The length of the string affects the speed and the radius of the circular motion. A longer string will result in a larger radius and a slower speed, while a shorter string will result in a smaller radius and a faster speed.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of the ball and the tension in the string?

The speed of the ball is directly proportional to the tension in the string. This means that as the tension in the string increases, the speed of the ball also increases.

5. Can the circular motion of a ball and string be affected by external forces?

Yes, external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity can affect the circular motion of a ball and string. These forces may cause the ball to deviate from its circular path or slow down its speed.