The Roundup Ride: Experience the Thrill of 14.56m/s^2!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZzZerozZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Experience
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ZzZerozZ
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In an amusement park ride called The Roundup, passengers stand inside a 17.0m -diameter rotating ring. After the ring has acquired sufficient speed, it tilts into a vertical plane.

Suppose the ring rotates once every 4.80s . If a rider's mass is 52.0kg , with how much force does the ring push on her at the top of the ride?

Homework Equations


1.v=2*pi*r/T
2.Fr=mg+n=Fnet=m*Ac=m*v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution



What I do is T=4.80 m=52.0kg

v=formula#1=11.126m/s
Ac= formula#2=14.56m/s^2
Fr=m*Ac= 757,12N

The answer is wrong but I don't know why...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal force, you are finding, is the resultant force on the rider. At the top of the ride, what are the forces acting and their directions?
 
ZzZerozZ said:
n and Fg pointing downwards?

Right, I think the question wants you to find n. Your second equation n+Fg=Fr, find n.