1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion- radius of the plane's vertical loop

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An 80-kg pilot flies a plane in a vertical loop. At the top of the loop, where the plane is completely upside-down for an instant, the pilot hangs freely in the seat and does not push against the seat belt. The airspeed indicator reads the 110 m/s. What is the radius of the plane's vertical loop?

2. Relevant equations

Fc=Fg
    Fc=mV2/R

3. The attempt at a solution

So we know that m= 80kg v=110m/s and we are looking for R.
    In order to do this, I simply rearranged the Fc=mV2/R equation and solved for R. And this turned out to give me R=1 235m.

I would like if someone could verify that my work here is done correctly and that the significant figures are being respected. Thank you so much for your time and help :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2
    That is correct. You could also say that centripetal acceleration = v^2/R = g if there is no force on the pilot due to the seat or his seat belt. The pilot at this instant is effectively in 'free fall'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook