1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circulation of a triangular region

1. Dec 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the circulation (line integral) of y2dx+x2dy for the boundary of a triangular region contained within x+y=1, x=0, and y=0.

2. Relevant equations
    Green's theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I actually already got the solution; I used the Green's theorem to get the curl of 2x-2y and integrated that for x from 0 to 1-y and y from 0 to 1 to get an answer of 0.

However, I was a bit confused as I was trying to verify the solution by calculating the line integrals of each segment of the triangular region; I keep getting a different answer. I know that along the two axes, x/dx and y/dy are 0, respectively, so the line integrals of those would be 0, making the line x+y=1 the only contributor to the total integral.

I parametrized y as 1-t and x as t, and integrated [(1-x)^2+x^2]*sqrt(2) from 1 to 0 of t; however, the answer to that is not 0.

Why am I getting different answers here? Help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I get the same answer using Green's thm.
    Looking at the line integral over x+y = 1 of y^2 dx + x^2 dy, it looks like you missed a negative sign in your parametrization.
    dx = -dy, since the slope of the line is -1.

4. Dec 4, 2015 #3
    Ah, okay. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted