Citation for origins of the Kloss formula

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Dr.D
Messages
2,411
Reaction score
723
TL;DR
The Kloss formula (from Dr. Max Kloss) is apparently widely used in Europe and Russia to approximate the relation between slip and motor torque in a squirrel cage induction motor, but I've never seen it in an American paper or book. Does anyone have a source citation for this?
The Kloss formula (from Dr. Max Kloss) is apparently widely used in Europe and Russia to approximate the relation between slip and motor torque in a squirrel cage induction motor, but I've never seen it in an American paper or book. Does anyone have a source citation for this?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you will need to explore and follow the citation trail backwards.
Just keep broadening the search. How is your technical Russian?
An example;
http://www.ene.ttu.ee/elektriajamid/teadus/artiklid/Comp_OF_models/“The detailed analysis of Kloss formula, and variations of this, are given by Risthein (1).”
Ref 1. Risthein, E. K matematitšeskoi interpretatsij mehanitšeskoi harakteristiki asinhronnogo dvigatelja. Trudö TPI 627, Tallinn, 1986. (In Russian)
 
Thank you for this citation, @Baluncore . Unfortunately, my knowledge of Russian is nonexistent, so I will not be able to read the original of that citation.

Since posting the request, I think I have tracked down the original source, a paper by Dr. Max Kloss in The Electron, 1909.
 
Hello, firsts editions of Kingsley and Fitzgerald have a treatment about the expression, but they never mentioned Kloss´s name. It appears in section 7 - Induction machines as "Normalized Torque-Slip curves", or something like that (My two editions of K-F are in spanish).
 
Interesting comment, Pablo. Thank you. I think I lost my copy of K-F quite a few years ago, so I suppose I'll just have to let that one go. Thanks anyway.
 
Thanks, Tom G., but I think I'll pass. I found K&F to be pretty fuzzy, and after I found the work by Krause, K&F was no longer of interest to me.