Instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between instantaneous power and torque in a balanced 3-phase system with a constant load. It is theorized that instantaneous torque in a 3-phase induction motor may also be constant throughout each revolution, despite the presence of slip and rotor frequency. The concept of skewing armature slots in motors is mentioned as a way to smooth out torque and reduce audible noise. A patent and a YouTube video are suggested as further resources for exploring this topic.
pvshackguy
This isn't a homework question because nobody assigned it to me. It is a theoretical question however.

I understand that in a balanced 3-phase system with a constant load, instantaneous power is constant. Not "pretty constant" but a flat line. This suggests to me (warning: amateur) that instantaneous torque, in a 3-phase induction motor, might also be constant throughout each revolution, assuming a fixed load. But, given that slip is necessary, and that the rotor experiences a frequency of a few hertz, it may be hopelessly naive to imagine that torque isn't somewhat "bumpy."

Again - this is instantaneous torque I'm thinking of, measured throughout a machine cycle or two, not torque vs. load or any of that usual motory spec stuff. ;-)

I've exhausted the books I have at hand, and I feel as though I've seen every torque curve on the internet by now. Perhaps it's not an important question but it's burning a hole in my curiosity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at an armature and observe the slots are skewed, not parallel to the shaft.

That's done to relieve the magnetic discontinuity as the rotor slots pass under the armature slots, smoothing out torque and reducing audible "hum".

try a search on 'squirrel cage slots skew' . There's a 1948 patent that looks interesting ,,, but on this computer i couldn't read it for some obscure software reason..

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~ecen4517/materials/InductionMotor.pdf

old jim

here is a youtube breakout of an AC motor that shows the skew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
You anticipated my follow-up too. Thanks.

I find your curiosity about instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor to be valid and interesting. While it is true that in a balanced 3-phase system with a constant load, instantaneous power is constant, this does not necessarily mean that instantaneous torque is also constant.

Firstly, let's define instantaneous torque as the force that causes rotation at a specific moment in time. In a 3-phase motor, torque is generated by the interaction between the stator's magnetic field and the rotor's induced currents. As the rotor rotates, it experiences a varying magnetic field from the stator, resulting in a varying torque.

Additionally, slip is necessary in a 3-phase motor to maintain rotation and produce torque. This means that there will always be some degree of "bumpiness" in the instantaneous torque as the rotor slips and catches up with the stator's magnetic field.

However, it is important to note that the overall trend of torque vs. time will still be relatively constant and smooth, as the motor is designed to produce a consistent output. The "bumpiness" may be imperceptible and only measurable with precise equipment.

Furthermore, the frequency of the rotor's rotation, which is typically a few hertz, is much higher than the frequency of the power supply, which is typically 50 or 60 hertz. This means that the "bumpiness" in the instantaneous torque will be at a much higher frequency and may not be noticeable.

In conclusion, while instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor may not be perfectly constant throughout each revolution, it is still relatively constant and smooth in comparison to the overall torque output. This is due to the design and function of the motor, and any variations in torque may not be significant or easily measurable. I hope this helps satisfy your curiosity about instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor.

What is instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor?

Instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor refers to the amount of rotational force that is produced at any given moment during the operation of the motor. It is a measure of how much force is being exerted on the motor's shaft to generate motion.

How is instantaneous torque calculated in a 3-phase motor?

Instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor is calculated by multiplying the phase voltage by the phase current and the power factor. This calculation takes into account the electrical properties of the motor, such as the winding resistance and inductance, to determine the amount of torque being produced.

What factors affect the value of instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor?

The value of instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor is affected by several factors, including the motor's design and construction, the amount of current flowing through the motor, and the load being placed on the motor. The motor's speed and power supply voltage can also influence the instantaneous torque produced.

How does instantaneous torque differ from average torque in a 3-phase motor?

Instantaneous torque in a 3-phase motor refers to the force being exerted at a specific moment in time, while average torque is a measure of the overall force exerted over a period of time. Instantaneous torque can vary throughout the motor's operation, while average torque remains relatively constant.

Why is understanding instantaneous torque important in 3-phase motor applications?

Understanding instantaneous torque in 3-phase motor applications is important because it allows engineers and technicians to accurately predict and control the motor's performance. It also helps in selecting the right motor for a specific application and troubleshooting any issues that may arise during operation.