Civil Engineer needs help getting head round a graph

In summary, the conversation is about a forum user's struggle to understand the graph of critical buckling load derived from Euler's Buckling Theory and actual values, plotted against 1/L^2. They are trying to determine the units of the gradient of the graph and how it relates to their understanding of the graph. The user also mentions that the graph has three linear lines which increase as 1/L^2 increases. Another user responds by asking for clarification on the three functions being plotted and explains that the discrepancy between predicted and observed critical buckling loads is due to initial out of straightness and residual stresses in the metal.
funkydunky20
Hi, new to the forum, although i have read some posts before.

I am in the process of completing a structural mechanics report based upon buckling of a slender column.

In the brief they asked us to plot a graph of Critical Buckling Load derived from Euler's Buckling Theory and actual (all in Newtons) against 1/L^2.

I am trying to understand what this graph shows us, however firstly i thought i would look at the units of the gradient. in my mind the gradient of the graph will have units of N.m^2 (not (N/m^2). I can't for the life of me think what these units represent and this is confusing my understanding of the graph.

The graph basically has three linear lines which increase as 1/L^2 increases.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "and actual"? Could you list the three functions you are plotting?

Euler buckling equation predicts higher than experimentally observed critical buckling loads. In the elastic buckling region this is due to initial out of straightness of the column. In the inelastic buckling region, the lower than expected load is predominately caused by residual stresses left in the metal from forming (for steel). That is most likely what the question is driving at.

1. What is the purpose of a graph in civil engineering?

The purpose of a graph in civil engineering is to visually represent data and information in a clear and concise manner. This allows engineers to analyze and interpret the data more easily, and make informed decisions related to their projects.

2. How do I read a graph in civil engineering?

To read a graph in civil engineering, you should start by looking at the axes. The horizontal axis typically represents the independent variable, while the vertical axis represents the dependent variable. Then, analyze the data points or lines on the graph and look for patterns or trends.

3. What types of graphs are commonly used in civil engineering?

The most commonly used graphs in civil engineering include line graphs, bar graphs, and pie charts. Line graphs are used to show trends over time, bar graphs are used to compare different categories, and pie charts are used to show the proportions of a whole.

4. How can I create a graph for my civil engineering project?

To create a graph for your civil engineering project, you can use various software such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. These programs have built-in graphing tools that allow you to input your data and customize the visual appearance of the graph.

5. Why is it important for civil engineers to be able to interpret graphs?

Interpreting graphs is important for civil engineers because it helps them make informed decisions and identify potential problems or areas for improvement in their projects. It also allows them to communicate their findings and data effectively to other professionals and stakeholders.