Civil or Structural Engineerings

In summary, Structural engineers design and build structures, such as skyscrapers and bridges. Civil engineers usually work on projects such as roads and bridges.
jose11
What is the difference between civil and Structural engineering? Some employeers ask for civil eng, but other only request Structural Engineers?

I've been told that Civil engineers deal with soil mechanics, geotechnia, surveying and the set up for bridges, roads, etc. But arent they fully capable to design a bridge.

The same person told me that Structural engineers do a more technical job and they could not do, for example a technical report of soild to build a multistored building.
I was surprised becouse I asked some unis and they told me that only Civil eng. masters can apply for Structural Eng MSc (in UK Structural is not an undergrad. degree but a 1 year postdegree) so most Struct eng are Civil too.

I was thinking to make a degree that I really like. and then to do a MSc in Strutural engineering becouse I'm passioned about it, so I get the best of both worlds. Do I really have to be a Civil eng. to study bridges and structures and to be a good Structural engeneer? (at least one uni will accept me with a an Aerospace degree on the Aerostructures stream)

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course your best source of information about this is from the schools you're applying to. That said, it's generally true that structural engineering is a sub-specialty of Civil Engineering.

In many (most?) places, a structural engineer is required to have professional licensure.

Some of the engineers who graduated with me and got the same degree became civil engineers, others became mechanical engineers.

One thing that is difficult for students to understand is that their education does very little to prepare them for a real engineering job. I've had many highly varied engineering jobs over the last 35 years. None used more than 5% of what I learned in school, but each used a different 5%.

When you get your first job, your employeer will plan on training you on the job for four or five years before expecting you to be fully functional as an engineer. I started my latest job nine months ago, and I'm still in training even with 35 years of experience in related engineering jobs.

Yes, you will do some useful work before you are fully trained. But it will be the simpler stuff and it will be considered OJT.

I've trained many young engineers fresh out of school myself. Some train more quickly, some take longer. But all learn very quickly that college did not teach them all that they needed to know to be an engineer.

Thanks Pkruse, I'll keep it in mind. Other engineers told me that they are always training, but I didnt know to what point.

I can provide a response to the question about the difference between civil and structural engineering. Civil engineering is a broad field that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as buildings, roads, bridges, and transportation systems. Civil engineers focus on the overall planning and design of these structures, considering factors such as environmental impact, sustainability, and safety.

On the other hand, structural engineering is a specialized branch of civil engineering that specifically deals with the analysis and design of structures to withstand external forces and loads. This can include buildings, bridges, dams, and other large structures. Structural engineers use advanced mathematics and physics to design safe and efficient structures that can withstand natural disasters and other external forces.

While both civil and structural engineers may work on similar projects, their roles and responsibilities may differ. Civil engineers may focus on the overall design and planning of a project, while structural engineers may focus on the specific structural elements and materials needed to ensure its stability. However, both disciplines overlap and often work together on projects.

In terms of employability, some employers may specifically ask for civil engineers because they are more familiar with the overall design and planning process. Others may specifically request structural engineers for their specialized knowledge in analyzing and designing structures. However, both civil and structural engineers can work on similar projects and have a thorough understanding of the principles and concepts needed for success in the field.

In terms of your personal career path, it is not necessary to have a civil engineering degree to become a structural engineer. As you mentioned, some universities may accept individuals with degrees in related fields such as aerospace engineering. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles to be successful in structural engineering.

In summary, civil engineering and structural engineering are closely related but have distinct roles and responsibilities. Both disciplines are essential in the design and construction of structures and offer exciting and challenging career opportunities. Pursuing a degree in either field can lead to a successful career in the engineering industry.

What is the difference between civil engineering and structural engineering?

Civil engineering is a broad field that involves the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Structural engineering is a specialized branch of civil engineering that focuses specifically on the design and analysis of structures, such as buildings and bridges.

What types of structures do structural engineers design?

Structural engineers design a wide range of structures, including buildings, bridges, dams, tunnels, and even offshore platforms. They are responsible for ensuring that these structures are safe, functional, and durable.

What skills are necessary for a career in civil or structural engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in civil or structural engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in math and physics. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as these engineers often work with other professionals on construction projects.

What are the steps to becoming a civil or structural engineer?

The first step to becoming a civil or structural engineer is to earn a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field. After graduation, many engineers choose to pursue a master's degree or gain work experience before becoming licensed. Licensure requirements vary by state, but typically include passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and the Professional Engineering (PE) exam.

What are some current challenges in the field of civil and structural engineering?

One current challenge in the field of civil and structural engineering is the need to design and build sustainable infrastructure that can withstand the effects of climate change. Another challenge is the increasing demand for innovative and cost-effective solutions to complex engineering problems. Additionally, the aging infrastructure in many countries requires constant maintenance and upgrades, creating the need for skilled engineers to address these issues.