1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is structural engineering worth it?

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    Hi,

Right now I am in my 3rd year of a dual construction management and environmental engineering degree. I have an interest in building things (both design & construction), but more important to me is a career with a high income and quality of life. I am debating between a structural engineering (SE) and construction management (CM) career. Can you tell me which is better?

If a structural engineering career is better then I would consider switching out the rest of my environmental classes and take the structural engineering half-track instead. But since I am so far in my degree, taking structural might add an extra semester or two. And the classes will be in Hebrew, which I am not fully fluent in. Therefore my grades might drop (I am currently a deans list student).

If I stay in my construction management & environmental civil engineering track, can I still become a licensed structural engineer in the future?

I am studying in Israel - at the Technion Institute of Technolony - but am from Alberta, Canada

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm... Tell you which is better to get you your high income and quality of life. And don't give you an open ended answer.

I can't imagine why you are not getting more responses.

4. Feb 10, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as licensure as a structural engineer is concerned, the requirements vary from country to country. You need to check with licensing authorities in the locale where you want to practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook