1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Claim made in a proof that a particular space is Lindelof.

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    I was reading over the proof that the set ℝ with the lower-limit topology is Lindelof. Munkres claimed the Lindelof condition is equivalent to the condition that every open covering of the space by basis elements has a countable subcollection that cover the space. I wanted to write out all the details of the verification of this claim. Basis elements are open sets; hence, one direction is easy. For the other direction, we assume the space X satisfies the condition involving its basis elements and let A be an covering of X by sets opem in X. For each x in X, there is some element of A that contains x; denote it Ax. By the defintion of a basis for a topology, there is some Bx that contains x and lies entirely in Ax.
    -----The Question-----
    Now, I want to let B be the collection of these basis elements. That is, B is the collection of all basis elements Bx such that Bx contains x and lies entirely in some element Ax of A containing x. Is this construction clear (and legal)? Given an arbitrary basis element B, if for one of its elements x, B lies entirely in some element of A contaning x, then B is a member of B. If this collection is well-defined, then I can finish off the details.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, that's the way to do it.

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    Thanks micromass! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted