Clarification of Romer's Calculation

• B
  • Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average period of Io's orbit around Jupiter and how the speed of light affects the timing of eclipses. The final eclipse is found to occur later than expected due to the time it takes for light to travel the diameter of Earth's orbit. The question is raised about how to prove this using a satellite and considering Jupiter as stationary.
etotheipi
Please see the below diagram. I make the assumptions that the orbit of Jupiter around the sun is fairly unimportant for this problem, and that the period of Io is also much smaller than that of the Earth. I also assume everything is nice and circular and in the same plane.

IMG_7689.JPG

The intervals between observations of eclipses are greater than average on traveling away from Jupiter, and smaller than average when traveling toward Jupiter. The average ##T_{Io}## could then be calculated over a whole year.

I now consider the half-cycle period during which Earth travels exclusively away from Jupiter. Suppose light is emitted from an eclipse at absolute ##t=0##, which arrives at Earth at ##t = t_{1}##. The absolute time at which light from the second eclipse reaches Earth, ##t_{2}##, is ##t_{2} = T_{Io} + t_{1} + \Delta t_{1}##, where ##\Delta t_{1}## is the extra time the light needs to cover the slightly increased distance. Likewise, the absolute time at which light from the third eclipse reaches Earth is ##t_{3} = 2T_{Io} + t_{1} + \Delta t_{1} + \Delta t_{2}##.

The two intervals between successive detections are then ##T_{Io} + \Delta t_{1}##, and then ##T_{Io} + \Delta t_{2}##, and this pattern would continue onward like so.

Now over a half cycle of Earth's orbit, if the speed of light were infinite, we would expect the absolute time elapsed to be an integer multiple of ##T_{Io}##. However, the final eclipse actually will occur later by ##\Delta t_{1} + \Delta t_{2} + ...##, which Romer measured to be about 22 minutes.

This sum of time increments is supposed to represent the time for light to traverse the diameter of Earth's orbit, and whilst this seems somewhat reasonable (I've sketched some loci on the diagram), I can't find a rigorous way of showing that this sum does indeed converge to the diameter. I was wondering how I could go about finishing this off?

N.B. In the diagram I have put ##t_{1}## at an arbitrary point so that the lines are clearer, but evidently from what I have described it should be at the right-most point of Earth' orbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
This sum of time increments is supposed to represent the time for light to traverse the diameter of Earth's orbit,
Where did you read this?

Do you need to prove anything? Imagine a satellite deployed at the start of the experiment, with zero orbital velocity. It sees Io appear for the ##n##th time at ##nT_{Io}##. You've argued that the Earth sees it emerge at ##nT_{Io}+\sum_{i=1}^n\Delta t_i##. What must the difference be?

As you note, we're approximating Jupiter as stationary. You could correct for that if you wanted.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
Do you need to prove anything? Imagine a satellite deployed at the start of the experiment, with zero orbital velocity. It sees Io appear for the ##n##th time at ##nT_{Io}##. You've argued that the Earth sees it emerge at ##nT_{Io}+\sum_{i=1}^n\Delta t_i##. What must the difference be?

That is definitely a more direct approach...!

1. What is Romer's Calculation?

Romer's Calculation, also known as the Romer Model, is an economic growth model developed by economist Paul Romer in 1986. It explains how technological progress can lead to long-term economic growth.

2. How does Romer's Calculation differ from other economic growth models?

Romer's Calculation is unique in that it incorporates the role of technological progress as a driver of economic growth. Other models focus primarily on factors such as capital accumulation and labor force growth.

3. What are the key assumptions of Romer's Calculation?

The key assumptions of Romer's Calculation include the existence of diminishing returns to capital, constant returns to scale in the production of knowledge, and non-rivalry in the consumption of knowledge.

4. How is Romer's Calculation used in practice?

Romer's Calculation is used by policymakers and economists to understand the role of technological progress in economic growth and to inform policies that promote innovation and knowledge creation.

5. What are the criticisms of Romer's Calculation?

Some criticisms of Romer's Calculation include its reliance on unrealistic assumptions, such as constant returns to scale in the production of knowledge, and its failure to account for the role of institutions and government policies in promoting technological progress.