Clarification on Partial Derivative Symbols

In summary: I'm used to c being used as a constant. Plus we just did separation of variables where c1 and c2 where used as constants. With that and the fact that they were before the variables, like most constants, I just assumed that's why they were.
erok81

Homework Statement

See uploaded image.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I’ve never seen this format so I am not sure what it is asking. Taking L1.B as an example. They are partials, but does it mean partial of x with respect to z? And then partial of y with respect to z? I am pretty sure that part is right after looking at it again.

The one I am really confused about it L1.3D. There are two partial symbols with y and z in front of w. Maybe partial of x then y with respect to w?

And I guess the same thing with C. Partial of c1? Since c is a constant wouldn’t that be zero every time? There is no x with the partial symbols, so I don't think I do anything with the x or y?

I have only seen the following when referring to partial derivatives...

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}[/tex]
(partial of x with respect to y)

And...

[tex]F_{x}[/tex]
(partial of x)

Attachments

• L1.3.png
    L1.3.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
read it as follows:
[tex]\partial_x = \frac{\partial }{\partial x}[/tex]

When in doubt, search Google/Wiki ;)! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_derivative

3B. partial of z with respect to x...and partial of z with respect to y.
3C. I'm not sure on this one. I guess partial of u w/ respect to c1, c2, c3, separately.
3D. partial of w with respect to y and then partial with respect to x.

Perfect, that is what I was thinking. Thanks for the responses.

Back to the c1, c2, c3... since those are constants, isn't that just going to be zero? Or am I missing something still?

erok81 said:
Perfect, that is what I was thinking. Thanks for the responses.

Back to the c1, c2, c3... since those are constants, isn't that just going to be zero? Or am I missing something still?

Why do you think c1, c2 and c3 are constants? If you are taking partial derivatives of them, you shouldn't be thinking of them as constants.

Just assume x is not a function of c1, c2, or c3, and go from there.

Got it. I guess I am used to c being used as a constant. Plus we just did separation of variables where c1 and c2 where used as constants. With that and the fact that they were before the variables, like most constants, I just assumed that's why they were.

No matter how much I do these, I always get thrown off when different variables get used. :rofl:

1. What do the symbols ∂ and ∂x mean in partial derivatives?

The symbol ∂ (pronounced "partial") represents the partial derivative operator, which is used to denote a partial derivative with respect to a specific variable. The symbol ∂x indicates that the partial derivative is being taken with respect to the variable x.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. In contrast, a regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable.

3. Can a function have multiple partial derivatives?

Yes, a function can have multiple partial derivatives, each with respect to a different variable. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how the function changes in relation to each variable.

4. What does the subscript in a partial derivative symbol represent?

The subscript in a partial derivative symbol indicates which variable the partial derivative is being taken with respect to. For example, in ∂f/∂x, the subscript "x" indicates that the partial derivative is with respect to the variable x.

5. How are partial derivatives used in science?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful for analyzing how a system or function changes with respect to multiple independent variables, allowing for more accurate predictions and optimizations.