Clarification on this derivation

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of calculus of variations in a classical mechanics course, specifically the brachistochrone problem. The speaker expressed difficulty on the recent exam but plans to dedicate more time to the class. They also mentioned working 20 hours during the week. The conversation then delved into the specific equations and a trigonometric substitution used in solving the problem. The speaker concluded by asking about the "little trick" used in the solution.
Shackleford
We recently started calculus of variations in my classical mechanics course earlier this week, just before our midterm which was today. Unfortunately, I did very poorly on the exam. However, I'm going to dedicate more time to the class as well as my modern physics 2 class. It's unfortunate that I work 20 hours during the business week which is really at least 24 hours including lunch, commute, etc.

At any rate, I'm not following 23 and 24. This is for the brachistochrone problem. Also, I'm not exactly sure what the general approach is. Of course, 21 is the function (time) that you want minimized, so it looks like they did in a roundabout way by minimizing the distance y.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/2010-10-15214417.jpg?t=1287197386

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 23 is the 22 manipulated.

[tex]
\frac{{y}'^2}{x(1+{y}'^2)} = \frac{1}{2a} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{x(1+{y}'^2)}{{y}'^2} = 2a \\
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{{y}'^2} = \frac{2a-x}{x} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
{y}'^2 = \frac{x}{2a-x} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
{y}' = \sqrt{\frac{x}{2a-x}} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
{y}' = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x(2a-x)}} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
{y}' = \frac{x}{\sqrt{2ax-x^2}} \\
[/tex]

Yeah, I worked that out a little bit ago. Thanks. I was mainly concerned with 23 to 24. Is that a typical trigonometric substitution?

mmm I don't think it's typical.
It's a passage you make when you already know the solution by other ways, or you know it exist.

Quinzio said:
mmm I don't think it's typical.
It's a passage you make when you already know the solution by other ways, or you know it exist.

What is the little trick they used?

Related to Clarification on this derivation

1. What is the purpose of this derivation?

The purpose of this derivation is to provide a logical and systematic explanation of a particular concept or phenomenon. It helps to clarify any confusion or questions that may arise and allows for a better understanding of the subject.

2. How is this derivation different from others on the same topic?

This derivation may differ from others on the same topic in terms of the approach, assumptions, or level of detail. It is important to carefully read and compare multiple derivations to gain a comprehensive understanding of the concept.

3. Can this derivation be applied to other situations?

It depends on the specific derivation and the context in which it is being applied. Some derivations may have a broader applicability, while others may only be relevant in specific scenarios. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the derivation before applying it to other situations.

4. Are there any limitations to this derivation?

Like any scientific explanation, this derivation may have limitations. These could include simplifying assumptions, specific conditions or constraints, or a narrow scope of applicability. It is important to critically evaluate the limitations of any derivation to fully understand its implications.

5. How can I use this derivation in my own research?

This derivation can be used as a starting point for further research or as a reference for building upon existing knowledge. It is important to properly cite the derivation and acknowledge any contributions or modifications made in your own work.