1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Class and student probability question

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    student A comes to 80% of the classes while student B comes to 60%, (A,B are independant of one another), on a given day exactly one student arrived, what is the probability that it was student A

P(A)=0.8
    P(B)=0.6

P([tex]\bar{A}[/tex])*P(B)=0.12
    P([tex]\bar{B}[/tex])*P(A)=0.32

C=> only one student arrived
    P(C)=P([tex]\bar{A}[/tex])*P(B) +P([tex]\bar{B}[/tex])*P(A)=0.12 + 0.32 =0.44
    P(C/A)=P([tex]\bar{B}[/tex])*P(A)=0.32

P(A/C)=[tex]\frac{P(A)*P(C/A)}{P(C)}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{0.8*0.32}{0.44}[/tex]=0.58

this is wrong the correct answer is meant to be 0.73, any help??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: probability

Why isn't it just P(A)*P(not B)/(P(A)*P(not B)+P(B)*P(not A))? Why the extra P(A) factor?

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3

apparently it is, but i know P(A/C) is the probability of A if i know that C has occured, and i thought that that was what i needed to use here

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The numerator is P(A|C). So the whole answer is P(A|C)/P(C). I'm questioning where the extra P(A) came from?

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5

as far as i can tell im looking for P(A|C)-> the probability of A if C has occurred,

P(A|C)= P(A)*P(C|A)/P(C)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes'_theorem

7. Jan 24, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, if you want to do it that way, then P(C|A) is the probability that A is there and B is not there divided by probability that A is there. That's 0.32/0.8. You are drawing a Venn type diagram of this, right?

8. Jan 24, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you know A arrived, the probability that only one student arrived is the probability that B didn't, so P(C|A)=P(not B).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook