Class and student probability question

In summary: Therefore, P(A|C)= P(A)*P(not B)/P(C).In summary, the probability that student A arrived given that only one student arrived on a given day is 0.73. This was calculated using Bayes' theorem and taking into account the probabilities of each student attending class.
Dell
student A comes to 80% of the classes while student B comes to 60%, (A,B are independant of one another), on a given day exactly one student arrived, what is the probability that it was student A

P(A)=0.8
P(B)=0.6

P([tex]\bar{A}[/tex])*P(B)=0.12
P([tex]\bar{B}[/tex])*P(A)=0.32

C=> only one student arrived
P(C)=P([tex]\bar{A}[/tex])*P(B) +P([tex]\bar{B}[/tex])*P(A)=0.12 + 0.32 =0.44
P(C/A)=P([tex]\bar{B}[/tex])*P(A)=0.32

P(A/C)=[tex]\frac{P(A)*P(C/A)}{P(C)}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{0.8*0.32}{0.44}[/tex]=0.58

this is wrong the correct answer is meant to be 0.73, any help??

Physics news on Phys.org

Why isn't it just P(A)*P(not B)/(P(A)*P(not B)+P(B)*P(not A))? Why the extra P(A) factor?

apparently it is, but i know P(A/C) is the probability of A if i know that C has occured, and i thought that that was what i needed to use here

The numerator is P(A|C). So the whole answer is P(A|C)/P(C). I'm questioning where the extra P(A) came from?

Ok, if you want to do it that way, then P(C|A) is the probability that A is there and B is not there divided by probability that A is there. That's 0.32/0.8. You are drawing a Venn type diagram of this, right?

If you know A arrived, the probability that only one student arrived is the probability that B didn't, so P(C|A)=P(not B).

1. What is the definition of class and student probability?

Class and student probability refers to the likelihood of a student belonging to a particular class or group based on certain characteristics or factors.

2. How is class and student probability calculated?

Class and student probability can be calculated by dividing the number of students in a particular class or group by the total number of students in the entire population.

3. What are the factors that affect class and student probability?

The factors that can affect class and student probability include demographics, socio-economic status, academic performance, and personal characteristics.

4. How is class and student probability used in research?

Class and student probability is used in research to understand and analyze the distribution of students in different classes or groups, and to identify any patterns or trends that may exist.

5. Can class and student probability change over time?

Yes, class and student probability can change over time as students move in and out of different classes or groups, and as their characteristics and demographics may also change.