1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Classical Eletrodynamics, Jackson

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
    I've started reading the book on the title, but exists so fuzz here about this book and it's scared me a bit, i'm in the middle of chapter 2 right now, and nothing difficult appeared to me in this moment, what are the requeriments to read this book smothly until the end?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2015 #2
    I've been told the mathematics in Jackson is sadistic.

4. Dec 23, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you started doing the end-of-chapter exercises yet?

5. Dec 23, 2015 #4
  6. Dec 23, 2015 #5
    If you're not doing any exercises you're not going to build any real understanding of the material.

7. Dec 24, 2015 #6
    It's because i haven't finished the chapter 2 yet, but i will do the exercises, chapter 1 it's only the derivation of basic concepts of eletrostatics, there's nothing new in that, i have studied Griffith book...

8. Dec 24, 2015 #7
    Problems involving even old concepts can provide opportunities to improve your understanding. Also just because you think you can "see" your way to a solution does mean that you can solve the problem for some problems are wrought with conceptual traps and complexities that will thwart your efforts. At this stage in the development of a subject the problem sets should not be simply a mere repetition of the concepts of the text. Use the athletes routine of "warming up" before you do the heavy lifting.

9. Dec 25, 2015 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Jackson's book is very good and quite comprehensive. For my taste, I'd start much earlier with a fully relativistic treatment and I'd recommend the 2nd edition, because it's written fully in the good old CGS units (unfortunately in the Gaussian and not in modern rationalized Heaviside-Lorentz units, but it's better than SI in any case, because SI units destroy the elegance and inner logic of the theory unnecessarily).

The problems are tough, but solving tough problems adds a lot to your understanding of the subject. Only don't get discouraged too soon. As I said, the problems are tough!

10. Dec 25, 2015 #9
    Yeah, i agree, but sometimes the book can go quite abstract in explanation, with huge logic jumbs between the equations,but nothing impossible at the moment and the subjects in the book appears to be quite cool too, with some introduction to QED and Solid State.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted