1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechaincs problem (weird one)

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I've been given a homework question I don't even know what it means:
    A particle mass m travels in a one dimensional potential [tex]V=V_0 t g^2 (\alpha r)[/tex]. Find its period.
    This is the question exactly as it appears. Now, can t be time??? We haven't even touched time-dependent potentials (it's an undergraduate course).
    Also, is [tex]g^2[/tex] a function of [tex]\alpha r[/tex]? and what does [tex]\alpha r[/tex] mean? (my guess is distance from the center*constant).

Most of our homework questions are taken (with some variation) from either Goldstein's Mechanics book or the Landau-Lif****z one [COME ON!!!! THE BOOK'S NAME IS LANDAU-LIFSHI&Z (&=T)], but in neither could I locate any question similar to that. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2
    Well it appears that "tg" is actually the tangent function - Those idiots (can I say idiots?) used italic script so I was certain they ment 't' and 'g' as variables. Beside no one uses "tg" as tangent in printed/electronic media

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So do you still need help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?