1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical mechanics, angular momentum and velocity not parallel, why?

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A single particle of mass m is revolving at steady speed in a circle of radius a about the z axis at a height h above the origin. In this situation the particle has angular velocity w = wz

1 Show that the angular momentum L is not parallel to w

2 If a second particle revolves in the same circle at the opposite end of a diameter, show that the combined angular momentumof the two particles rotating rigiidly is parallel to w.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first question, i have found a webpage that talks about this situation and describes the problem of w and L not being parallel. But im finding it hard to extract what information to show that this is true. Here is the link: http://sites.isel.ipl.pt/fisica/pedagogia/ajp75(2007)53.pdf

I am concentrating on the first question first so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    To answer part (1), consider this:

In rotational motion, angular momentum [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{L} = \stackrel{\rightarrow}{r} \times\stackrel{\rightarrow}{P}[/tex], where P is linear momentum.
  4. Nov 12, 2007 #3
    Does this show that the components of L are in the x and y axes aswell as z. Therefore it isnt parallel because of this?
  5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    I think i have the answer to the first part by showing that the moment of inertia in this case has components that are perpendicular to the z axis therefore L and w arent parallel. Any help on the second part would be much appreciated.
  6. Nov 12, 2007 #5
    Have you drawn a picture? It is incredibly helpful when considering multiple different vectors. Consider: what would the cross product be of z and P if z were parallel to P?

As for part (2), remember that "combined" is just the sum of the two angular momenta, and that each angular momentum is a separate vector. Again, draw a picture.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?