[Classical Mechanics] Just need some conceptual help (rolling and friction)

In summary: My bad.In summary, we have a ball with radius R and mass m turning around a horizontal axis through its center with an angular speed \omega_0. Placed on top of a table with no initial velocity, the ball experiences friction with a coefficient of µ. To calculate the distance traveled before the ball stops slipping, we use the condition for rolling without slipping, \omega R = v, and solve for x using the kinematic equation v^2 = 2ax. We also calculate the time derivative of omega and use two other kinematic equations to find the duration of slipping and omega in terms of x. We then plug these expressions into v = wR and solve for x. While there may be a brief transition
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

"A ball with radius R and mass m turns around a horizontal axis through his center with an angular speed [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. In that condition the ball, without an initial velocity in the center, is put on top of a table. The friction coëfficient between the ball and the table is µ. Calculate the distance that the ball travels until it doesn't slip anymore.
([tex]I_{ball} = \frac{2}{5} m R^2[/tex])"

Homework Equations

[tex]I_z \frac{\mathrm d \omega_z}{\mathrm d t} = \tau_z[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I think I solved it ([tex]x = \frac{2R^2\omega_0^2}{49\mu g}[/tex]),
but there were no answers with the exercises, so I just want to check if I did the right conceptual steps:

So first of all, no matter how slow the ball was spinning, there will always be slipping at first, because v = 0 (when there's no subscript, I'm talking about the CM) and friction thus needs to deliver positive work (at the cost of kinetic energy, also producing heat, hence making an energy approach futile).

Now I thought, the necessary and sufficient condition for rolling without slipping is [tex]\omega R = v[/tex], so basically I just need to calculate how long it will take for v to RISE and omega to DROP until they reach this relation.
You can calculate v with the kinematic equation [tex]v^2 = 2ax[/tex], assuming [tex]F = \mu m g[/tex]. One gets an expression of v in function of the distance x.
We can also calculate the time derivative of omega (see "Relevant Equations") and then we use two other kinematic equations: one to find the time duration of slipping (in function of x) and then using that we use [tex]\omega = \omega_0 + \frac{\mathrm d \omega_z}{\mathrm d t} \Delta t[/tex], giving us omega in function of x.
We then plug both expressions into v = wR and solve for x.

One more concrete question:
This implies that the change in applied friction is abrupt, correct? Before the contact W = 0, then as soon as there is contact F = µmg, until v is reached at which point it goes abruptly from µmg to 0 again. There are no transient zones, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice work! It all looks correct to me. I got most of it independently but your clever use of v² = 2ax eluded me.

I suppose in reality there would be a very brief transition time when the full weight of the ball was not on the table but the assumption of an instantaneous jump to the full normal force seems very reasonable.

You did it well, your result is correct. The usual method to solve such problems is that we assume the effect of friction abrupt. In reality, there is some transition time: while you hold the ball it presses the ground less than its weight, and even after releasing the ball, the elastic and adhesion forces between the ground and the ball (which cause the force of friction) need some time to reach their stationary value. But this time is very short and has little influence to the final distance.
Usually we always ignore a lot of effects when solving physical problems, but we have to know the limits of our approximations.

ehild

Edit: Delphi beat me, but we have the same opinion :)

Your replies are much appreciated :)

I am getting x = R2ω2o/7µg

What is the angular velocity you got once the ball starts motion without slipping?

ω = ωo + αt = ωo - 2.5μgt [1]
v = at = μgt [2]
The condition v = Rω then gives t = 2Rωo/(7μg) [3]
So ω = ωo - 5R*ωo/7 and v = 2R*ωo/7
Easier to use the v to get the x.

I got the same value for 'v'.
To find x, I used the Work-Energy Theorem-

0.5mv2 + 0.5Iω2 - 0.5Iωo2 = (mu)mgR*x

If you solve this then you get x = R2ω2o/7µg

Last edited:
Abdul Quadeer said:
I got the same value for 'v'.
To find x, I used the Work-Energy Theorem-

0.5mv2 + 0.5Iω2 - 0.5Iωo2 = (mu)mgx

If you solve this then you get x = R2ω2o/7µg

When you use the Work-Energy Theorem and rotation is involved you need to include the work of torque which changes the rotational energy.

ehild

Last edited:
errr I forgot the expression for work done due to a torque. To find that we have to use equations of rotational motion.

1. What is the difference between rolling with and without slipping?

Rolling with slipping occurs when there is relative motion between the object and the surface it is rolling on, while rolling without slipping occurs when there is no relative motion and the object moves as a whole without sliding.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect the rolling motion of an object?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of resistance the surface exerts on the object, which affects the speed and acceleration of the rolling motion. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower and more gradual rolling motion.

3. Can an object roll without friction?

No, in order for an object to roll, there must be some amount of friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on. Without friction, the object would simply slide instead of rolling.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its rolling motion?

The shape of an object affects its moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. Objects with larger moments of inertia will have a slower rolling motion compared to objects with smaller moments of inertia.

5. What factors determine if an object will roll or slide down an incline?

The angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline, and the object's shape and mass all play a role in determining whether it will roll or slide down an incline. If the incline is steep and the coefficient of friction is low, the object is more likely to slide. If the incline is less steep and the coefficient of friction is high, the object is more likely to roll.