Classical Mechanics (Marion)

In summary, a smooth rope is placed above a hole in a table and one end falls through the hole at t=0. The goal is to find the velocity and acceleration of the rope as a function of the distance to the end of the rope x. The total length of the rope is L and all friction is ignored. The author attempts to solve the problem using a Lagrangian formulation, but another individual claims it is incorrect due to the explicit dependence on the generalized coordinate x. The correct solution involves considering the force balance on the part of the rope above the hole and accounting for the normal force exerted by the table on the coiled part of the rope. Furthermore, energy is not conserved in this problem due to the constant
HAMJOOP
From (Marion 5th ed. Problem 9-15)
A smooth rope is placed above a hole in a table. One end of the rope falls through the hole at t = 0, pulling steadily on the remainder of the rope. Find the velocity and acceleration of the rope as a function of the distance to the end of the rope x.

Ignore all friction. The total length of the rope is L.

I attempt to solve it by lagrangian L = T - U
T = 1/2 (λx) v^2
U = -(λx)g(x/2)

where λ is mass density
But someone said it is not correct. He claimed that if T depends on generalized coordinate explicitly(in this case x), then it violates Newton's Second Law.
So, lagrangian mechanics cannot be used in open system ?

Marion's Solution
F = dp/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) (see Fig)

I learned that we cannot differentiate m (i.e. dm/dt) if the system is open.

So, which one is correct ??
Can anyone explain to me in detail ?

Attachments

• ???.png
    ???.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 945
  • Fig.png
    Fig.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,035
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see what's wrong with the given Lagrangian. The Euler-Lagrange equation give the same equations of motion as given in the book.

HAMJOOP said:
From (Marion 5th ed. Problem 9-15)
A smooth rope is placed above a hole in a table. One end of the rope falls through the hole at t = 0, pulling steadily on the remainder of the rope. Find the velocity and acceleration of the rope as a function of the distance to the end of the rope x.

Ignore all friction. The total length of the rope is L.

I attempt to solve it by lagrangian L = T - U
T = 1/2 (λx) v^2
U = -(λx)g(x/2)

where λ is mass density
But someone said it is not correct. He claimed that if T depends on generalized coordinate explicitly(in this case x), then it violates Newton's Second Law.
So, lagrangian mechanics cannot be used in open system ?

Marion's Solution
F = dp/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) (see Fig)

I learned that we cannot differentiate m (i.e. dm/dt) if the system is open.

So, which one is correct ??
Can anyone explain to me in detail ?
Bad news. The solution in Merion is incorrect. The entire rope is accelerating, and not just the part that has passed through the hole. This needs to be taken into account. Let F be the tension in the rope at the hole. Then the force balance on the part of the rope below the hole at any time is:
[tex]σgx-F=\frac{d(σxv)}{dt}[/tex]
The force balance on the part of the rope above the hole is:
[tex]F=\frac{d(σ(L-x)v)}{dt}[/tex]
If we add these two equations to eliminate F, we get:
[tex]gx=L\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Well, then I misunderstood the drawing. I thought the rope is curled up on the table and thus only the part gone through the hole is accelerating. If you have the other case, of course you get another equation of motion.

vanhees71 said:
I don't see what's wrong with the given Lagrangian. The Euler-Lagrange equation give the same equations of motion as given in the book.
No, it doesn't. You can't use a Lagrangian formulation for this problem because energy is not a conserved quantity in this problem.

Chestermiller said:
Bad news. The solution in Merion is incorrect. The entire rope is accelerating
No, it's not. The rope is coiled just above the hole. The only part of the rope that is accelerating is the part that is falling.

vanhees71 said:
Well, then I misunderstood the drawing. I thought the rope is curled up on the table and thus only the part gone through the hole is accelerating. If you have the other case, of course you get another equation of motion.
Your understanding is correct. The rope is coiled up just above the hole so that the only part that is accelerating is the part of the rope that has already passed through the hole.

D H said:
No, it doesn't. You can't use a Lagrangian formulation for this problem because energy is not a conserved quantity in this problem.
Why wouldn't energy be conserved in this problem? The only force doing work is gravity, which is conservative.

Chestermiller said:
The force balance on the part of the rope above the hole is:
[tex]F=\frac{d(σ(L-x)v)}{dt}[/tex]
You've omitted the normal force exerted by the table on the coiled part of the rope.

HAMJOOP said:
That's not right. For example, the kinetic energy in polar coordinates, ##T = \frac{1}{2}m[\dot{r}^2 + (r\dot{\theta})^2]##, depends explicitly on the coordinate ##r##. Changing from Cartesian to polar coordinates certainly doesn't result in a violation of Newton's second law.

vela said:
You've omitted the normal force exerted by the table on the coiled part of the rope.
This was the horizontal force balance on the part of the rope on the table.

D H said:

No, it's not. The rope is coiled just above the hole. The only part of the rope that is accelerating is the part that is falling.

Your understanding is correct. The rope is coiled up just above the hole so that the only part that is accelerating is the part of the rope that has already passed through the hole.
Even if it's coiled, part of it is still accelerating, although not nearly as much as if it is straight. But, actually, I didn't notice that it was coiled.

Ah, okay. I think the intent of the problem is that the rope on the table remains at rest, and only a small piece of length v dt is accelerated from rest to speed v at time t.

vela said:
Why wouldn't energy be conserved in this problem? The only force doing work is gravity, which is conservative.

Energy is not conserved because the part of the rope that is falling is constantly bringing new parts of non-falling rope up to speed. One way to look at this is that this acts as a drag on the falling part of the rope. Drag is almost inevitably a non-conservative force.

Hint to HAMJOOP:

Suppose that at some time t the length the rope x(t) that is already falling with velocity v(t) is about to pull a small length of rope Δx up to speed. At some small time tt later, the length of rope x(t)+Δx will be moving at some speed v(t)+Δv. During this short span of time, the only force acting on this segment of rope is gravity. Assume there is no interaction (yet) between the rest of the coiled up rope and that small segment that is about to be brought up to speed. (You might want to justify this assumption.)

I'll leave the rest up to HAMJOOP.

D H said:

So, there is a non conservative force in this problem.

if I am able to formulate the new "potential", is it still possible to use Lagrangian formulation ?

Indeed, now that I checked the problem more carefully, I also see that this can not be treated via the Lagrange formalism. The reason seems to be that in the motion always new material of the rope is added to the moving part and thus that we have not a closed system.

The correct way is to use Newton's 2nd Law directly:
[tex]\mathrm{d}_t p=m g \; \Rightarrow \; x \ddot{x}+\dot{x}^2=m g.[/tex]

That's true, but in this case the mass elements entering the moving part of the rope have 0 momentum and thus does not contribute an extra momentum. The formula by Marion (quoted in my previous posting) is thus correct. I just checked this in my favorite mechanics book (the good old Sommerfeld Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1) :-)).

vanhees71 said:
vanhees71 said:
The correct way is to use Newton's 2nd Law directly:
[tex]\mathrm{d}_t p=m g \; \Rightarrow \; x \ddot{x}+\dot{x}^2=m g.[/tex]
The formula by Marion (quoted in my previous posting) is thus correct.
Actually, it isn't correct. Look at the units!

HAMJOOP said:
From wikipedia, differentiate mv with respect to time by product rule gives wrong result.
Yes, Fext=d(mv)/dt can get you in trouble sometimes. But sometimes wikipedia's alternative expression can also be wrong.

This problem can be solved without resorting to variable mass. Look at what is happening to the rope as a whole. Since the rope's mass isn't changing, it is perfectly safe to use Fext=dP/dt. What is the net external force on the rope? What is the rope's total momentum, and what is it's time derivative?

But not the whole rope is moving, i.e., not the total mass is to be put into the momentum. I try to get the equation right, again: The moving mass is [itex]m=\lambda x[/itex] and thus
[tex]\lambda \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (x \dot{x})=\lambda x g \; \Rightarrow \; x \ddot{x}+\dot{x}^2=g x.[/tex]
This equation is correct, because the material entering the motion is at rest before and thus carries no momentum.

Newton's Law
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{p}}{\mathrm{d} t} = \vec{F}[/tex]
only holds for the center of mass of a closed system. An example is the rocket equation. Here a gas with relative velocity [itex]u[/itex] (wrt. to the restframe of the rocket) is expelled (mass per unit time [itex]\mu[/itex]). The closed system is "rocket + gas", and we can write (for a rocket close to the earth)
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} m v}{\mathrm{d} t}+\mu (v-u)=-m g,[/tex]
where [itex]v[/itex] is the velocity of the rocket, and [itex]m=m_0-\mu t[/itex] is the mass still contained in the rocket.

This leads to the Tsiolkovsky equation (with gravitational force in approximation close to earth),
[tex]-\mu v+(m-\mu t) \dot{v} + \mu(v-u)=-m g[/tex]
or
[tex](m-\mu t) \dot{v}=\mu u - (m-\mu t) g.[/tex]
This leads to
[tex]\dot{v} = \frac{\mu u}{m-\mu t} -g[/tex]
and can be simply integrated twice to get [itex]x(t)[/itex].

vanhees71 said:
But not the whole rope is moving, i.e., not the total mass is to be put into the momentum. I try to get the equation right, again: The moving mass is [itex]m=\lambda x[/itex] and thus
[tex]\lambda \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (x \dot{x})=\lambda x g \; \Rightarrow \; x \ddot{x}+\dot{x}^2=g x.[/tex]
This equation is correct, because the material entering the motion is at rest before and thus carries no momentum.
I'll address the first sentence later. With regard to the equation of motion, that is the correct equation. The left hand and right hand sides now agree. They didn't agree in what you wrote previously.

Regarding "But not the whole rope is moving, i.e., not the total mass is to be put into the momentum": So? Newtonian mechanics (and it's rewrite as Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics) can handle a system of particles, each moving with different speeds and each subject to different forces. That's the whole point of the latter half of chapter 2 in Marion, and in just about any other classical mechanics text.

One way to escape the variable mass imbroglio is not to use variable mass. Treating the entire rope as a system, the external force acting on the rope is ##F_{\text{ext}} = F_{\text{grav}}+F_{\text{normal}} = \rho L g - \rho(L-x)g = \rho g x##. The momentum is just that of the part that is falling: ##p=\rho x v = \rho x \dot x##. Being a constant mass system, there's no problem with using F=dp/dt, yielding ##gx = \dot x^2 + x \ddot x##. Same equations as yours, but without the variable mass stuff.

Likes 1 person
That's a good point, because it makes the whole business much clearer! Thanks.

vanhees71 said:

Thanks. Now I understand I can write down dp/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt).

But why the net force acting on the rope is only the gravity?
What about the tension due to the rope on the table ?

HAMJOOP said:
But why the net force acting on the rope is only the gravity?
What about the tension due to the rope on the table ?

See D H's posting. That makes it much better understandable!

What tension?

With the variable mass formulation, you have to assume that there is no interaction between the falling rope and the rope on the table except for some tiny bit of rope that is being uncoiled and is about to start falling. You also need to assume that this tiny bit of rope quickly accelerates and gets up to the speed of the falling rope. With the first assumption, the only force acting on the falling rope is gravity. There is no tension. With the latter assumption you can treat every little bit of the falling rope as having the same velocity.

The latter assumption is still needed with my alternate approach (looking at the rope as a whole), but the first assumption isn't. The tension between the falling portion of the rope and the coiled up portion of the rope, if any, is an internal force. It's only the external forces that come into play in that alternate approach. See chapter 2 of Marion.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause motion in physical systems. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation established by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are Newton's three laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, and that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Another important principle is the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What are the key concepts in classical mechanics?

Some key concepts in classical mechanics include position, velocity, acceleration, mass, force, energy, and momentum. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects and systems in the physical world.

4. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on the laws of motion and gravitation, whereas quantum mechanics is based on the principles of quantum theory, which describes the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. Classical mechanics is used to describe the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

5. What are some practical applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in engineering, architecture, and transportation. It is also the foundation for understanding the motion of celestial bodies, which is important in fields such as astronomy and space exploration. Additionally, classical mechanics is used in the design and analysis of machines, structures, and other mechanical systems.