Calculate the Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system

In summary: Then you can express the kinetic energy in terms of your generalised coordinate(s).In summary, to calculate the Lagrangian for this system, you must first express the kinetic and potential energies in terms of the generalized coordinate(s). The kinetic energy will include the center of mass kinetic energy and possibly rotational kinetic energy, depending on the movement of the rod. The potential energy will also depend on the movement of the rod and the constraints imposed by the strings.
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Calculate the Lagrangian of this set up:

Imagine having two ropes: They are both attached to the ceiling and have different lengths. One has length b and the other has length 4b. Say they are hooked to the ceiling a distance 4b apart. Now, the ropes are both hooked to a plank of mass M (uniform mass density) of length 5b. The rod can move in 3 dimensions. Ultimately, I am after the normal frequencies and normal modes of the system, but I think I can determine these if I can figure out this lagrangian

x3ilqr.png

Homework Equations

[tex] \mathcal{L} = T-U [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am not entirely sure how to go about this but my book suggests to use the coordinate [itex] x [/itex] for the longitudinal displacement of the rod and [itex] y_1[/itex] and [itex] y_2[/itex] as the sideways displacement of the rods two ends. Also, we are only assuming small displacements from equilibrium (so I think [itex] \dot{z} [/itex] is going to be zero)
Im not sure how to implement this choice of generalized coordinates.

Can anyone help me out? Also, I have never found a lagrangian for an extended object (its always been point masses in various systems)

Thanks in advance - btw I cannot find ANYTHING online that resembles a problem like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you go about it in the usual way. Write down the lagrangian of the system by expressing the kinetic and potential energies, then express those in terms of the generalised coordinate(s).

I've never written down the lagrangian of an extended object. I realize the K.E of the plank would be the K.E of its center of mass ([itex] \frac{1}{2}m( \dot{x}^2+ \dot{y}^2)[/itex] ) and probably some rotational K.E like [itex] \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 [/itex] but I don't know how the strings affect these terms...

DeldotB said:
I've never written down the lagrangian of an extended object. I realize the K.E of the plank would be the K.E of its center of mass ([itex] \frac{1}{2}m( \dot{x}^2+ \dot{y}^2)[/itex] ) and probably some rotational K.E like [itex] \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 [/itex] but I don't know how the strings affect these terms...
The strings are massless. All you have to figure out is how they constrain the movement of the rod. You can do this by expressing the rod position (angle and com) in terms of your generalised coordinate and taking the time derivative to find the velocity and angular velocity of the rod.

1. What is a coupled pendulum system?

A coupled pendulum system consists of two or more pendulums that are connected to each other through a common pivot point or a coupling mechanism. This allows the pendulums to affect each other's motion and create complex patterns of movement.

2. Why is it important to calculate the Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system and allows us to predict its behavior over time. In the case of a coupled pendulum system, calculating the Lagrangian helps us understand the relationship between the different pendulums and how they will move in response to each other's motion.

3. How do you calculate the Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system?

To calculate the Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system, you need to use the equations of motion for each pendulum and then combine them using the principle of least action. This involves finding the kinetic and potential energies of each pendulum and taking their difference to get the Lagrangian function.

4. What factors can affect the Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system?

The Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system can be affected by various factors such as the masses of the pendulums, the length of the pendulums, the coupling mechanism, and external forces like friction or air resistance. These factors can change the equations of motion and thus alter the Lagrangian function.

5. How can the Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system be used in real-world applications?

The Lagrangian of a coupled pendulum system can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics to analyze and predict the behavior of interconnected systems. It can also be applied in the design and optimization of complex mechanical systems, such as suspension systems in cars or robotic arms in manufacturing processes.