1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics - Moving Object in 3D space

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, i have the following task, which should actually not be too hard, but for for some reason i cannot figure out the answer.

Consider an Object with 1 kg mass in 3D space with coordinates [itex]\vec r = [x(t), y(t), z(t)][/itex]. Like Shown in the attachment, [itex]z:= e^{ax}[/itex] and furthermore y = 0 (always).

a) Calculate the potential energy and the kinetic energy at x = 0 and velocity [itex]\vec v(t) = 0[/itex]

b) Calculate the potential energy and the kinetic energy at [itex]x = \eta[/itex] and[itex]z = e^{a\eta}[/itex]. [itex]\eta[/itex] is some real number.

c) Calculate the velocity [itex]\vec v(t)[/itex] and the direction of the object at [itex]x = \eta[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I know the following equations for kinetic and potetial energy:

Potential energy: [itex]V(\vec r) = m*h*g[/itex], where hight h might be z ....
    Kinetic energy: [itex]T(t) = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

At first i wanted to use these equations above, but the problem is, that there is actually no force field given in this task ... also gravity is not mentioned explicitly. Is it even possible to solve this task without having a force? Maybe, i'm using the wrong equations. I also thought of [itex]V(\vec r) = \int \vec F(\vec r)[/itex] for the potential.
    It might be necessary (and reasonable) to assume gravity as the force field ...

I hope that somebody can help me.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Strange. 3D space goes very far. Makes a difference if you are on earth or way beyond Alpha Centauri.

your z is ##e^{-ax}## in the attachment, by the way. I don't understand what you mean with z:=

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it is moving along a curve, there must be some force acting on it to accelerate it. What do you know about constraint forces and changes in PE and KE?

The question testing if you understand the basics ideas of mechanics, not if you can plug and chug algebra formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted