Classical Mechanics - Moving Object in 3D space

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework task involving an object with 1 kg mass in 3D space and its potential and kinetic energy at various points. The equations for potential and kinetic energy are mentioned, but the lack of a force field is noted as a potential issue. The concept of constraint forces and changes in potential and kinetic energy is also brought up. The task appears to be testing the understanding of mechanics rather than simply using algebraic formulas.
TanGeriN

Homework Statement

Hello, i have the following task, which should actually not be too hard, but for for some reason i cannot figure out the answer.

Consider an Object with 1 kg mass in 3D space with coordinates [itex]\vec r = [x(t), y(t), z(t)][/itex]. Like Shown in the attachment, [itex]z:= e^{ax}[/itex] and furthermore y = 0 (always).

a) Calculate the potential energy and the kinetic energy at x = 0 and velocity [itex]\vec v(t) = 0[/itex]

b) Calculate the potential energy and the kinetic energy at [itex]x = \eta[/itex] and[itex]z = e^{a\eta}[/itex]. [itex]\eta[/itex] is some real number.

c) Calculate the velocity [itex]\vec v(t)[/itex] and the direction of the object at [itex]x = \eta[/itex]

Homework Equations

I know the following equations for kinetic and potetial energy:

Potential energy: [itex]V(\vec r) = m*h*g[/itex], where hight h might be z ...
Kinetic energy: [itex]T(t) = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first i wanted to use these equations above, but the problem is, that there is actually no force field given in this task ... also gravity is not mentioned explicitly. Is it even possible to solve this task without having a force? Maybe, I'm using the wrong equations. I also thought of [itex]V(\vec r) = \int \vec F(\vec r)[/itex] for the potential.
It might be necessary (and reasonable) to assume gravity as the force field ...

I hope that somebody can help me.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Strange. 3D space goes very far. Makes a difference if you are on Earth or way beyond Alpha Centauri.

your z is ##e^{-ax}## in the attachment, by the way. I don't understand what you mean with z:=

If it is moving along a curve, there must be some force acting on it to accelerate it. What do you know about constraint forces and changes in PE and KE?

The question testing if you understand the basics ideas of mechanics, not if you can plug and chug algebra formulas.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a three-dimensional space. It studies the behavior of objects in motion under the influence of forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance.

2. What are the basic principles of classical mechanics?

The basic principles of classical mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. It also includes the principle of conservation of momentum and energy, which states that the total momentum and energy of a system remains constant unless acted upon by external forces.

3. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the motion of macroscopic objects such as planets, cars, and projectiles, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic principles, whereas quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

4. What is the role of calculus in classical mechanics?

Calculus plays a crucial role in classical mechanics as it provides the tools to mathematically describe and analyze the motion of objects. It is used to calculate the position, velocity, acceleration, and other quantities that are essential for understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

5. How is classical mechanics used in real-world applications?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, aerospace, and robotics. It is used to design and analyze the motion of machines, vehicles, and structures. It is also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite navigation systems.