Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical solution of PDE with mixed boundary conditions

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Nowadays people usually consider PDEs in weak formulations only, so I have a hard time finding statements about the existence of classical solutions of the Poisson equation with mixed Dirichlet-Neumann boundary conditions.

Maybe someone here can help me and point to a book or article where I can find sufficient conditions on the right hand side that guarantee the existence of a C^2 solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A google search on "Dirichlet-Neumann conditions" turn up this:
    http://www.math.osu.edu/~gerlach.1/math/BVtypset/node142.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks. But this only mentions the definition of these boundary conditions. It doesn't give existence conditions for it (but for the Cauchy problem).

I did an extended Google search before I posed the question here, and found nothing useful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Mar 1, 2012 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's a short section in Polyanin's handbook "Linear Partial Differential Equations" covering this case, but it does not appear to be available online. I'm not sure if the material there answers your question.

6. Mar 2, 2012 #5

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks. I need to get the book from the library.

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It is online at
    http://sharif.edu/~asghari/Handbook...s for engineers and scientists - Polyanin.pdf

Section 7.2 is about the Poisson equation, but it concentrates on specific solutions for nice domains. No existence results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook