1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical thermodynamics problem

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(i) State the Second Law of Thermodynamics in one or other of its forms.

(ii) The heat capacity per unit volume of a particular solid at low temperatures is equal to CT3; find expressions for its internal energy and entropy S per unit volume (ignoring the effects of thermal expansion).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) Kelvin's statement: No process is possible whose sole effect is complete conversion of heat into work.

Clausius' statement: No process is possible whose sole effect is to transfer heat from a colder to a hotter body.

(ii) Not sure. Any help would be awesome.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    Atleast show us the attempt

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    Heat capacity = Internal energy/ Temperature, so Internal energy = CT4. Now, I know that this is wrong, but that's the point of me coming to the forum, so I can get the problem done quickly. Otherwise I can just read the lecture notes and get the problem done in 60 long and boring minutes, which isn't fun becasue I am a third year student and I am studying this for the comprehensive paper and if I take this long to do one problem, then i will take eternity to finish all the first and second year courses and so I might as well pack my bag and run for home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook