Classify the group Z4xZ2/0xZ2 using fund.thm. of finetely gen. abl. grps.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Leb
Messages
87
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Clasify the group Z4xZ2/{0}xZ2 using the fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups.


Homework Equations


FTOFGAG: In short it states that every finitely generated abelian group G is isomorphic to a direct product of cyclic groups of the form Z(p1)r1x...xZ(pn)rnxZxZ...xZ

where pn's are prime numbers and rn's are +ve integers (p's,r's can be same)

Theorem 14.11 is just the fundamental theorem of homomorphism.

The Attempt at a Solution



As given in the book
SolAB.jpg


First time (at least from what I remember, and my memory span is that of a worm...) I encounter a projection map. But the main thing is, that I do not see how the theorem was applied ? I think I can justify to myself why pi(x,y) only gives x - otherwise, it would not be possible to make it isomorphic to Z4 (I mean it would not make any sense to map Z4xZ2 to only Z4), but why do we make such a choice in the first place ? And why can we say that {0}xZ2 is the kernel ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
{0}xZ2 is the kernel of pi because pi(0xz2)=0 for any z2 in Z2. It can be shown that pi: Z4xZ2→Z4 is a homomorphism, therefore the canonical map Pi: Z4xZ2/{0}xZ2→Z4 is isomorphism, so Z4xZ2/{0}xZ2 and Z4 are isomorphic. I don't see why you need the theorem about finite abelian group, maybe this is just an example of that theorem.