1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classify the group Z4xZ2/0xZ2 using fund.thm. of finetely gen. abl. grps.

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1

Leb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Clasify the group Z4xZ2/{0}xZ2 using the fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups.

2. Relevant equations
    FTOFGAG: In short it states that every finitely generated abelian group G is isomorphic to a direct product of cyclic groups of the form Z(p1)r1x....xZ(pn)rnxZxZ...xZ

where pn's are prime numbers and rn's are +ve integers (p's,r's can be same)

Theorem 14.11 is just the fundamental theorem of homomorphism.

3. The attempt at a solution

As given in the book SolAB.jpg

First time (at least from what I remember, and my memory span is that of a worm...) I encounter a projection map. But the main thing is, that I do not see how the theorem was applied ? I think I can justify to myself why pi(x,y) only gives x - otherwise, it would not be possible to make it isomorphic to Z4 (I mean it would not make any sense to map Z4xZ2 to only Z4), but why do we make such a choice in the first place ? And why can we say that {0}xZ2 is the kernel ?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    {0}xZ2 is the kernel of pi because pi(0xz2)=0 for any z2 in Z2. It can be shown that pi: Z4xZ2→Z4 is a homomorphism, therefore the canonical map Pi: Z4xZ2/{0}xZ2→Z4 is isomorphism, so Z4xZ2/{0}xZ2 and Z4 are isomorphic. I don't see why you need the theorem about finite abelian group, maybe this is just an example of that theorem.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

Leb

Thanks sunjin09!
    So it is all about how we define pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook