Solve Group of Order 4 Automorphism Problems

• Thread starter Lee33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving determining the automorphism of a group of order 4. The speaker asks for guidance on how to approach these types of problems and whether any automorphism of the group is determined by its images. They also ask about the isomorphism of Aut(G) to S_3. Another question is asked about whether a certain mapping is an automorphism of its respective group. The conversation concludes with the speaker understanding how to approach the problem and discussing the bijectivity of the mapping.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group of order ##4, G = {e, a, b, ab}, a^2 = b^2 = e, ab = ba.## Determine Aut(G).

2. The attempt at a solution

How can I do these types of problems?

When doing these types of problems is any automorphism of ##G## always determined by the images? And why would ##\text{Aut(G)}## be isomorphic to ##S_3?##

I also have a different question. Is the mapping ##T: x\to x^2##, for positive reals under multiplication, an automorphism of its respective group?

I know that it is a bijective but I don't know if its a homomorphism? For homomorphism, I got ##\phi(xy) = (xy)^2## and ##\phi(x)\phi(y) = x^2y^2## but does ##(xy)^2 = x^2y^2##? I know it will be true if it were an abelian group but it doesn't state it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##G## be a group of order ##4, G = {e, a, b, ab}, a^2 = b^2 = e, ab = ba.## Determine Aut(G).

2. The attempt at a solution

How can I do these types of problems?

When doing these types of problems is any automorphism of ##G## always determined by the images? And why would ##\text{Aut(G)}## be isomorphic to ##S_3?##

If f is your automorphism then sure, you define f by saying what f(g) is for any element of the group and then showing it's an automorphism. I think you show ##\text{Aut(G)}## is isomorphic to ##S_3## by starting to work stuff out. Can you work out ANY automorphisms besides the identity? You know f(e)=e. Suppose f(a)=a, then you have two possibilities for f(b). Do they lead to automorphisms? There is a conceptual shortcut here but you aren't going to find it until you do something.

Likes 1 person
Okay then, so the identity is simple, now for nontrivial elements I get ##f(a) = b , f(a) = ab, f(b) = a , f(b) = ab, f(ab) = a, f(ab) = b, ... ## so there are six automorphisms?

Lee33 said:
Okay then, so the identity is simple, now for nontrivial elements I get ##f(a) = b , f(a) = ab, f(b) = a , f(b) = ab, f(ab) = a, f(ab) = b, ... ## so there are six automorphisms?

Saying f(a)=b does not define an automorphism. You have to also define what f(b) and f(ab) are. IF those DID define distinct automorphisms then you would have seven (including the identity). That's wrong. You still haven't defined any nontrivial automorphisms.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, Dick. I read over the definitions of homomorphism, automorphism and since as you said, "if f is your automorphism then sure, you define f by saying what f(g) is for any element of the group and then showing it's an automorphism" I think I know what to do now.

Last question about a different issue. Is the mapping ##T: x\to x^2##, for positive reals under multiplication, an automorphism of its respective group?

I know that it is a bijective but I don't know if its a homomorphism? For homomorphism, I got ##\phi(xy) = (xy)^2## and ##\phi(x)\phi(y) = x^2y^2## but does ##(xy)^2 = x^2y^2##? I know it will be true if it were an abelian group but it doesn't state it. I say it does not satisfy homomorphism since it is not abelian, am I right in saying that?

Lee33 said:
Thanks, Dick. I read over the definitions of homomorphism, automorphism and since as you said, "if f is your automorphism then sure, you define f by saying what f(g) is for any element of the group and then showing it's an automorphism" I think I know what to do now.

Last question about a different issue. Is the mapping ##T: x\to x^2##, for positive reals under multiplication, an automorphism of its respective group?

I know that it is a bijective but I don't know if its a homomorphism? For homomorphism, I got ##\phi(xy) = (xy)^2## and ##\phi(x)\phi(y) = x^2y^2## but does ##(xy)^2 = x^2y^2##? I know it will be true if it were an abelian group but it doesn't state it. I say it does not satisfy homomorphism since it is not abelian, am I right in saying that?

When they say "for positive reals under multiplication" I think they are assuming that you know that the positive real numbers are an abelian group under multiplication. They are. ab=ba is a basic property of the real numbers. I think they were expecting you to worry more about bijective than abelian. How do you know it's bijective?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I know they are bijective since it only included the positive reals under multiplication. If it wear all reals then it wouldn't be a bijection since it would not be 1-1. Am I correct to think that?

Lee33 said:
I know they are bijective since it only included the positive reals under multiplication. If it wear all reals then it wouldn't be a bijection since it would not be 1-1. Am I correct to think that?

Absolutely, but I think they want you to explain how you know it's bijective for positive reals.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much, Dick!

1. What is a group of order 4 in mathematics?

A group of order 4 in mathematics refers to a set of four elements that follow a specific set of rules or operations. These operations can include addition, multiplication, or other mathematical operations. A group of order 4 is also known as a group of size 4 or a group of cardinality 4.

2. What is an automorphism in group theory?

An automorphism in group theory refers to a function that maps each element of a group to another element in the same group while preserving the group's structure. In simpler terms, an automorphism is a way of rearranging or transforming the elements of a group without changing its overall structure or properties.

3. How do you solve group of order 4 automorphism problems?

To solve group of order 4 automorphism problems, you first need to understand the properties and structure of the specific group given. Then, you can use various techniques and theorems in group theory, such as Cayley's theorem or the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups, to find the automorphisms of the group.

4. What are some real-life applications of group theory and automorphisms?

Group theory and automorphisms have various applications in different fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. For example, in physics, group theory is used to study symmetries in physical systems and particles. In chemistry, group theory is used to understand molecular structures and reactions. In computer science, automorphisms are used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data.

5. Are there any open problems or challenges in solving group of order 4 automorphism problems?

Yes, there are still many open problems and challenges in solving group of order 4 automorphism problems. Some of these include finding efficient algorithms for computing automorphisms, determining the number of automorphisms for specific groups, and understanding the relationships between different groups and their automorphisms.