Clean words that sound bad or dirty, and alternative definitions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
50 replies · 22K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
subduction

better yet, add the definition:
Subduction is the act of abducting your second choice.

Or, as in, "I got subducted on the first date"
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
masticate - to chew
eruct - to expell gas from the stomach
 
Drauci has an ominous ring to it..
 
Norwegian place names: Homo and Hell.

Geographically speaking, they are quite close.
 
Last edited:
formication

the neurologically based illusion that you have insects (esp. ants) crawling under your skin.
 
Nut pirate- slang for squirrel.

Nutsucker-a baby squirrel
 
Last edited:
arildno said:
Nut pirate- slang for squirrel.
Thanks Arildno, I needed to laugh. :smile:
 
Evo said:
perfunctory
I don't get this one. It sounds fine to me. What does it suggest to you, Evo?
 
I didn't know that bishoprics were still extant and functional, much less archbishoprics.
Thanks for the link, greg! :smile:
 
arildno said:
I didn't know that bishoprics were still extant and functional, much less archbishoprics.
Thanks for the link, greg! :smile:
:smile: :smile:
 
"I was wallowing in my own crapulence."

"you are so stercoraceous!"
 
I have the opposite, a word that sounds nice but is dirty kinda! :)

Me and my friend use to think 'fetish' was some sort of baked good based on how it sounded.
 
Pengwuino said:
Me and my friend use to think 'fetish' was some sort of baked good based on how it sounded.
It is. Didn't you ever see American Pie?
 
For guitarists out there... Flange... say it. It sounds like filth.
 
And what is better than roses on the piano? Tulips on the organ.
 
Sh1tsu (doggies)

Shiatsu (massages)

Corpulent

Bustard

Angina (esp. as in "acute angina" - try walking up to a woman and asking her if she's ever been told she had acute angina)

Volvo

Fick (as in the diffusion equations).

Facklamia (uncommon genus of gram positive catalase negative cocci, named after Facklam)

Farquhar (British name, William Farquhar was the first Resident of colonial Singapore)

Fuqua (Antoine Fuqua, director of Training Day and King Arthur)
 
Last edited:
Good ones, Curious! I've always like acute angina.
 
prickly - Arildno's definition of a good date. :biggrin:
 
Last edited: