Clearing a wall with a golf shot

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the maximum distance and time of a trajectory following a parabola, as well as determining the correct solution for the velocity. The assumption that the ball will be at its maximum height when it passes over the wall is questioned, and another approach of comparing it to the range of a projectile on an incline is suggested. The possibility of being wrong in the assumption is also mentioned.
Oliver321
Homework Statement
A golfer hits his ball with speed v at an angle phi above the horizontal ground. Assuming that the angle phi is fixed and that air resistance can be neglected, what is the minimum speed v(min) for which the ball will clear a wall of height h, a distanced away? Your solution should get into trouble if the angle is such that tan phi < h / d. Explain. What is v(min) if phi = 25°, d = 50 m, and h = 2 m?
Relevant Equations
See picture below
Every trajectory follows a parabola if we neglect air resistance. So we can calculate the maximum distance in x direction s_max. Also we can determine the time it takes to hit the ground again t_max. If the ground is everywhere the same height, I can assume that at t_max/2 the height (s_y) is at a maximum. So at first i calculate the distance d at which the ball has its maximum height. I substituted this solution into s_y. Here I took the time t_max because the height has a maximum there. Now I could solve for v.

Nevertheless the solution is wrong (48 m/s). I know another way with which I get the right solution (26 m/s), but I don’t know what is wrong in my solution. Maybe you could help me!
E6FD4395-443B-43B9-A328-3F12B72A899A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Skeptical
Likes TSny
Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that the ball will be at its maximum height when it passes over the wall. Is this a correct assumption?

Likes Oliver321
TSny said:
You are assuming that the ball will be at its maximum height when it passes over the wall. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks! I asked me this question also. But I came to the conclusion that this has to be. Because if the ball passes the wall before t_max/2, I could lower the velocitiy. So the peak would be closer to the origin and the height also decreases. But it could also be that I am wrong.

How about this scenario then:

Likes Oliver321 and PeroK
Oliver321 said:
Oho ok :D Thank you!

Another way to look at the problem is to compare it to the range of a projectile on an incline.

Likes SammyS
PeroK said:
Another way to look at the problem is to compare it to the range of a projectile on an incline.
Aha! Thanks!

What is "clearing a wall" with a golf shot?

"Clearing a wall" with a golf shot refers to hitting a golf ball over a wall or obstacle, typically in order to reach the green or fairway on the other side.

What factors affect the success of clearing a wall with a golf shot?

The success of clearing a wall with a golf shot depends on several factors, including the height and distance of the wall, the trajectory and velocity of the golf ball, and the golfer's skill and technique.

What are some strategies for successfully clearing a wall with a golf shot?

One strategy is to use a club with a higher loft, such as a sand wedge, to help get the ball over the wall. Another strategy is to aim for a taller, wider section of the wall to increase the chances of clearing it. Proper swing technique and a controlled swing speed can also help with successfully clearing a wall.

What are some potential risks or challenges when attempting to clear a wall with a golf shot?

One potential risk is hitting the wall with the golf club and potentially damaging the club or injuring oneself. Other challenges can include judging the height and distance of the wall accurately and adjusting for any wind or other environmental factors that may affect the trajectory of the ball.

Is clearing a wall with a golf shot a common technique used in golf?

Clearing a wall with a golf shot is not a common technique used in golf, as it is generally more effective to play around or under obstacles. However, in certain situations, such as on a links course with high walls, it may be necessary to clear a wall with a golf shot.